Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I am degassing for the first time, how can you tell that it is done?

Thanks, soon I won't ask so many silly questions.

Without a vacuum gauge and pump of some sort its very hard to know when you have done a good job. Make sure when you degas the wine is at 75* or your work will be for nothing as gas doesnt release much at all at cooler temps.

t has been 74 in there since I started. I stirred it well again this morning and I am not getting anymore bubbles at all. Going to move to the next step....thanks

I'm going to degass my wine at the end of the secondary phase , after the last racking .

Then I'm going to bulk age the wine at 56F .

So , warming the wine up from 63F to 75F for degassing and then cooling again to 56F !

Isn't that behaviour harmful to the wine ?!

Would it be better to degass just before bottling ?

Hector

Last edited:
Not while its in carboy. Only really while its in bottles where you cant control S02 levels anymore.

No, Im just saying that right now it doesnt matter much as these temp changes while in the bottle would make your wine breath in and then release much needed S02 and thats why temp changes while in bottle are 1 reason its very bad. Another is that it makes your wine age much faster.

Im just saying that right now it doesnt matter much as these temp changes

Aha , I got it !

So , it would be fine if I degass after the last racking and then let the wine age at 56F .

Hector

I would degas the wine as soon as its done fermenting as trapped C02 will prevent your wine from clearing.

Back