degassing for 2 hrs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, am I just a freak of nature or am I agonizing over this.

I have been degassing a White Zin WEVR kit for over 2 hrs on and off. I have it on the sink drainboard and using a drill and the MixStir thingy from George.

I am STILL getting a ton of bubbles!
smiley24.gif
:?

I asked George if I was going to get cottage cheese - he assured me I wouldn't, but now I am wondering....
smiley5.gif
smiley1.gif

Any input here? I am scratching my head.

Are you getting bubbles or foam, Foam will always happen as you are basically creating a froth. Are you switching from forward to reverse, are you on high or low speed? I use high speed and as soon as the wine starts going in 1 direction I switch directions as this really disturbs the wine and gets more gas out IMO>

yes, I am reversing on hi - just as you say.

I am seeing bubbles and it is waving up and down - you know. Am I doing it right? Stop now?

I like the froth idea = that is spot on. But what do I have?

Sounds about right, let it sit overnight and hit it again tomorrow and you should be fine.

I was having that same problem but some one on this board said not to run your drill at high speed so I tried that and it worked much better. did not create foam endlessly.

cool. I think Wade is right on the money - froth, not bubbles.

It calls for 2 min, heck - I hit it for 20 min cumulative.

I hit the F pack - what does F stand for anyway? and the Chitosan/Isinglass and we are in the wine bidness.

Thank you for all your help - you saved my tail. Want to know about BBQ or farms? I am your man - wine, I am here.

My Best, Brad Simmons

C02 is waves of small tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom, not a smoothie on top.

kylandsales.com said:
I hit the F pack - what does F stand for anyway?

Thank you for all your help - you saved my tail. Want to know about BBQ or farms? I am your man - wine, I am here.

My Best, Brad Simmons

Honestly I'm not exactly sure what the "F" stands for. I've always assumed it meant "flavor" because you don't call it an "F" pack if it's just a simple sugar solution. Usually, in fruit winemaking anyway, you call it an "F" pack if you take some fruit juice and reduce it down to a syrup. This adds more of the fruit "flavor" to the wine.

As to the BBQ, I do have a question for you. I am a "do-it-yourselfer", much to the chagrin of my significant other at times, and I have attempted many times to make a homemade BBQ sauce from scratch. The only one I've ever done that tasted any good used ketchup as a base and I just don't consider that as being "from scratch" if you know what I mean.

Do you have a good recipe?

Another take on using your mixstir.

Think of your wine as being carbonated (it really is). When you zap it with the drill you're trying to release the carbonation. These bubbles race to the top! After you zap the wine put your ear down to the carboy and you can hear the bubbles breaking as they surface! The first couple of times you'll get so much fizz it's like shaking a soda bottle. After a few zaps you get less and less.

Next time draw a sample of your wine before you degass it. Draw another sample after degassing. You'll be amazed at the difference in the taste!

Bet you didn't think your wine was carbonated!!!

Wayne

When I make the White Zinfandel I find it is not sweet enough so I boil some water with 2 cups of sugar, cool it off and add it with the "F" pack.

Latest posts

Back