Degassing during Cellaring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
So I have a cellar that I keep at about 60F which I use for bulk aging carboys for about 12-18 months before bottling. I also use the AIO vacuum pump which I use to rack the wine 2-4 times over this period. Given that I am bulk aging for over a year and also vacuum racking I don’t feel like I need to worry about degassing but when I go to bottle with the AIO I notice that I am still getting some gas bubbles that I can’t help but think must be CO2. These are the really tiny bubbles and not the larger ones.

I’m wondering if the wine is not fully degassing over this period because it’s too cold?

Anyone else experience something similar?

To decide if all the co2 (or at least most of it) is out, fill your hydrometer tray jar about half way, cover with your hand and shake, shake, shake. When you take your hand off, listen, does it poof to indicate gas escaping? Also, do you have the adjustable vacuum valve on or allinonewinepump? If not, you might want to order one, you can adjust that down to minimize the bubbles.

Is this the adjustable valve? I’ve always just made sure the blue marker lines (were on it when I got it) are aligned. Guess I can try adjusting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
So I have a cellar that I keep at about 60F which I use for bulk aging carboys for about 12-18 months before bottling. I also use the AIO vacuum pump which I use to rack the wine 2-4 times over this period. Given that I am bulk aging for over a year and also vacuum racking I don’t feel like I need to worry about degassing but when I go to bottle with the AIO I notice that I am still getting some gas bubbles that I can’t help but think must be CO2. These are the really tiny bubbles and not the larger ones.

I’m wondering if the wine is not fully degassing over this period because it’s too cold?

Anyone else experience something similar?

I also cellar at cool temps, 55°F - 58°F, and for very similar time frames, and haven’t ever had a problem with residual CO2 after a year and a few rackings.

Back