Deep Freezer ==> Fermentation Chamber Project!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
I know I Know, you guys are used to me posting thread after thread about me pontificating about wine making.... well, me and the brother were at a junk store the other day and we happened on a 7ft^3 deep freezer on sale for $115... He saw a beer chamber, I saw a wine chamber... So, making common cause we split the price on it and became the proud owners of a previously owned returned to sender deep freezer.

We checked it out at the store and sure enough the bad boy kicked on and got nice and cold..

So, things that need doing include getting it back out of the car.... getting it inside of a 2000 mazda protege was quite the trick moving it up 18 floors into my apartment and then eventually converting the temperature controller on it to be adjustable for wine/beer making needs so that we can choose the exact temperature we wish to ferment at.

Pictures and updates to this odyssey are forthcoming!

Nice. Looking forward to the build. Have been thinking about this but more for lagers. I can hit ale and wine fermentation temperatures pretty easily in my basement year round.

So here are some of the promised pictures.

Dont ask how I got it into the car, however it was quickly discovered that removing the freezer from the car would necessitate the implementation of advanced freezer moving techniques.

Enter advanced freezer removal techniques!

Puuushhhh!

She is here!

Helga's new home!

The plan is to modify or remove the existing thermostat and temperature controller on it so that we can dial in the temperature precisely for whatever we have in mind for fermenting. Hopefully that phase of the project will not be too painful.. Meanwhile, she is got me some nice cider cooling off.

Wino, I plan on using it for cold fermenting my wine to help keep the delicate aromatics and yeast happy. My brother plans on turning it into a lager chamber, so I will no doubt get to see my fair share of lager from this bad girl. I am hoping this will help me take my wine making to the next step.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same Johnson temp controller rigged to my deep freezer. For me I had to remove one of the jumpers (the lower one) to get it to turn on at a certain high temp and turn off a a low temp. For example, doing a slow ferment for a lychee wine right now and have it set to turn "on" at 58° and turn off and 55°.

:) :) :) :) :) This is the FUNNIEST Seth post evah!!!!

Um, what is the HAMMER for, Seth??? :) :) :) :) :)

18 floors in your apartment building? WOW

Ok, I think I need to start a thread....................

You may have a wine problem if:

......you remove your car doors to get your new "fermenting freezer" out

18 floors in your apartment building? WOW

Ok, I think I need to start a thread....................

You may have a wine problem if:

......you remove your car doors to get your new "fermenting freezer" out

You have to admire the passion. :h

Heh thanks lol, I plan on getting this guy tempatured controlled pretty soon. BTW, for all those interisted, those dents in the freezer are not from my frustration (hammer) but I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the pins that held the car door in place out.

So, I just got the temperature controller in and configured. I had to move a jumper but that was no big deal. Currently, I have it set so that where the freezer turns on until the wine hits within 1 degree of the set temperature and then turns back on when it is within 1 degree warmer than the set temperature.

I currently have some strawberry wine cold crashing at 33 degrees.

Thanks for the advice, I infact read that article but decided to go with a presetup Johnson's control tempature controller. Mainly because I own none of the equipment or supplies needed to work with electricity. That and this guy was easy ( lazy) and I am a little wary of electricity.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377362504&sr=8-2&keywords=temperature+controller

Good article though.

I also use the very similiar controller - works great !!
I use it for parties - we cool off the beer and pop to exactly 28 degrees without the use of any ice !
It is great for cold stabilization also !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back