Decanters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
I apologize if I'm posting this question in the wrong place. Do most of the forum members here use decanters / aerators with there wine? I'm looking to get one. Any recommendations?

Thank you,
Tony

Tony i was given the Vinturi a couple of yrs back and on an 12 month aged zinfandel that was at 17% abv it did a great great job...i could not believe the difference...over time as the wine aged to three yrs the vinturi was not needed...so i would encourage you to at least have it at your disposal/tool

Tony i was given the Vinturi a couple of yrs back and on an 12 month aged zinfandel that was at 17% abv it did a great great job...i could not believe the difference...over time as the wine aged to three yrs the vinturi was not needed...so i would encourage you to at least have it at your disposal/tool

Hi Al,
Thank you,
Do you pour your wine directly thru the aerator to your wine glass or do you go to a decanter first then pour your wine from the decanter?

Hi Al,
Thank you,
Do you pour your wine directly thru the aerator to your wine glass or do you go to a decanter first then pour your wine from the decanter?

Tony, I also highly recommend the venturi aerator. I do both as far as pouring is concrened; directly into a glass if I am just getting a glass for myself or a whole bottle into a decanter if we will be finishing the bottle with company. As far as a decanter is concerned, I use the "ship's decanter" style (very wide bottom and narrow neck) and it works well for me.

I use the "Rabbit" aerating pourer by Metrokane. Just attach it to the bottle and pour. Works well for me.

I use the "Rabbit" as well on most of my reds. Very easy to use, and it does taste different than pouring out of the bottle without it.

Tony i do the same as Rocky...straight into the glass and sometimes in to a decanter

If we are having a big dinner party I will decant all wine's about an hour before hand, then pour the wine back into the original bottle and stuff a cork in it, this way the guest can all tell more easier what they are drinking (and which thy prefer) and you don't over air your wine (and you can give a wine too much air).

Yes,

GET THIS ONE!!!

The wine pours over the glass ball (at the top inside of the funnel) that rests on a micro-screen. This aerates and also removes sediment.

The glass ball can be placed in a freezer so that when you decant wine, you can also chill it at the same time. There is a spigot at the bottom so there is no spilling or mess. I have had one for years and can't recomend it enough!.

decanter.jpg

Yes,

GET THIS ONE!!!

The wine pours over the glass ball (at the top inside of the funnel) that rests on a micro-screen. This aerates and also removes sediment.

The glass ball can be placed in a freezer so that when you decant wine, you can also chill it at the same time. There is a spigot at the bottom so there is no spilling or mess. I have had one for years and can't recomend it enough!.

Now that is cool looking. Where's that from?

As far as a decanter goes, Kohls sells a nice glass decanter, which has a sprinkler-type aerator with a screen. You pour in the wine and the aerator creates little streams if wine, which shoot out and onto the sides of the decanter.

It is called a RoJaus. They are sold by a variety of comapnies. Simply use your search engine of choice, enter Wine RoJaus Decanter.

They range in price from $150 to $200.

I own a Grapevine decanter. It is now owned and operated by Travaso.
Find them at Travaso.com, especially if you need replacement parts.
I now use the decanter for all my red wines. Recently my fiancée told me she didn't like blended reds...so I purchased a bottle. I decanted a glass and poured another straight from the bottle. She swore they were two different wines. Didnt like out of bottle but loved decanted.

As evidenced in the responses above, don't forget that a good presentation might be as important as the physical changes brought about by decanting. Top Chefs know that preparing a good meal is only half the battle; the other half is making it appealing to the eye. For Skeeter Pee, I use a decanter that is more a conversation piece than a wine conditioner. It makes for fun discussion, especially for the younger drinkers who have no clue when they see my unique decanter. I usually don't tell them until they're finished.
SPdecanter5s.jpg
[/IMG]

Back