Deal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I just bought a Commercial bottle of Amarone for $29.95 that was $54.00. I was talking with the owner of the store as I was wearing my FINEVINEWINE shirt and it caught his eye. We talked and I ended up promising him to bring in 2 bottles of my country wines in exchange for the rest of the price difference. I have popped it but letting it breathe for awhile.

Wade, let it breath in a decanter if you have one for about 2 - 3 hours...it will make the world of difference. What brand is it? What does the label say? What year?

I buy a lot of commercial Amarones because I just love them. Well, not really a lot, but about 6 or 7 bottles a year.

Dean, it is a 2001 Capitel De"Roari from Italy. I had it in a decanter as we have about 20 of them as when we moved here my wife went on an Ebay spree to spruce up the place and bought a lot of Crystal decanters to give the place some class. I just poured my 1st glass and I love it and I will have to place an order cause I cant afford to buy these commercial bottles very often at all. I must say that I love it and that it is pretty similar to a Super Tuscan in my opinion but a little better. This is no where near the top range of an Amarone either so I cant imagine what a real good 1 tastes like.

It can't possibly be better than the bottle I sent you..........................

IS IT?????

It is Jobe, I dont know if yours is typical of a kit and i will find out soon as I will be making an Amarone kit next year. I had to get a bottle to try so I know what Im getting myself into. Jobe did not like that kit he did as it had a strong vinegar taste and smell to it although I still liked it as it still had the big taste behind it.

Gee............. I thought it SUCKED!!!!!!!!!

Yea... I was baiting you to see if you would say if it was good..... sorry.....

I know others that have made the CC kit Amarone and loved it....... Not mine! It was about the worst ever. Have you decided which kit your going to do? Maybe I'll do another and hopefully not repeat whatever went terribly wrong the first time.

Jobe, I just got in the Mosti Rennaissance Amarone with Raisins and will start it very soon. I got it as a base to try making my own chocolate raspberry port and chocolate orange port, but I must tell you it is one impressive looking kit. The whole thing spells quality. 16 liters of great looking juice, lots of great looking oak and all the other normal parts of a kit. They are all wrapped up in a masterpiece for a box. I have almost convince myself to buy another one just to make it and keep it without turning into a port.

Mine was a CellarCraft Kit. I have always had good luck with their kits, but must have gotten a fruit fly or something in the must on this one.

The CC kit had the smaller grape back in it back then, now they have a 2.3 liter or 14 pounds of grape skins that go in the must to bring the level in te primary past the 25 liter mark. It's gonna make a mess in an ordinary 6.9 gallon primary. CellarCraft says you can leave a couple of liters of water out but rack it early while still fermenting activly, add the water to 23 liters and let it ferment to dry.

I do like the grape skin packs.

Ill probably go with the Mosti Ren. or all juice or maybe even the RJS En Primeur. I have a Valpolicella in bulk and know that it is close to an Amarone. What is the main difference between these 2 wines. Almost every bottle of Amarone that I have seen says Valpolicella on it.

Amarone is a variety of Valpolicella, the biggest difference, that I have been able to determine, is the way it is made. The grapes being allowed to dry, or partially dry. The bitter taste present in Jobes wine was very typical of original Amarones, hence the nickname "big bitter" followed by the heavy chewy taste Wade describes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarone

Thanks JWM, the Valpolicella Ripassa is what I have fermenting. I want so many kits that I really have no idea what kit to order. Its either oing to be a Old Vine Zin, a Super Tuscan, or a Rosso Grande, maybe even the Syrah. I have the Tannat Merlot RQ on order but that wont be in till April.I think Im just going to have to throw these in a hat and pick or a Roulette wheel.
7_15_10.gif

I'll be bringing a couple of bottles of MM All Juice Amarone to Winestock next year for People's Choice. It's bulking now, and I will probably bottle over Christmas. IDEA!!! If I bottle on Christmas Eve day, which President Bush recently gave me off, I can Vin-u-vac one bottle instead of corking it and drink it on Christmas day! What a plan.

Do you recollect what a decent commercial Amarone tastes like to compare this to Peter? If not send a bottle over here for comparison as its still fresh in my mind!

I have never had a commercial amarone. I was planning to buy one for Christmas dinner, but I just got zinged $400 for a fuel pump for SWMBO's car, so that is off the table, so to speak.

Wade,

I hear you on the problem of deciding what kit to buy. Wonder ful
problem to have. Then add in this. Mary, normally a red drinker, said
to me today " We have to make a dry white"! Looks like I need another
kit George!

Latest posts

Back