De-gassing - wine whip?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK, kit vendors made manual degassing mainstream in their effort to reduce the time to bottling by speeding clearing. I'm sure the technique was in use long before then (25+ years ago?), but kit vendors pushed it and made it a normal part of their process. After all, it works.

One concern is the use of the term "whipping". When manually degassing, I'm not trying to introduce O2, nor is that a good idea. O2 is necessary during fermentation, but once that's done, O2 is the enemy. I get a small vortex going, which initially emits a lot of CO2.

A good experiment would be to create 3 identical batches, especially if all fermented together. #1 is degassed for 3 minutes, #2 is degassed for 1 minute, and #3 is not degassed at all. Check at the 3, 6, and 9 month mark for differences, and periodically after bottling.
My dad started making wine about 40 years ago. Very small operation. Maybe two carboys one white and one red. Every time he proudly served his wine, it was carbonated and we would ask him why that is. He didn’t have an answer and just shrugged his shoulders. It didn’t matter how long it was in the bottle, his wines always had some level of carbonation.

I have been racking with the AIO wine pump back and forth between carboys 3 or 4 times pulling lots of foam and bubbles to the top, Do those of you with this pump find that doing this is enough to feel like you have properly degassed or would you still drill whip it ?

I have been racking with the AIO wine pump back and forth between carboys 3 or 4 times pulling lots of foam and bubbles to the top, Do those of you with this pump find that doing this is enough to feel like you have properly degassed or would you still drill whip it ?

I have found that 3-4 rackings with the AIO gets out all the CO2. I don't whip.

I make sure I have racked at least twice with the AIO. I just did a kit that called for degassing at first racking, then stabilizing and adding a flavor pack, then finings. In that case, I racked to one carboy and then immediately to another (which also helps mix in the kmeta and sorbate) - this seemed to be enough degassing for the kieselsol and chitosan to work - the wine is pretty clear 2 days later.

I'm considering a process where assemble a must (doesn't matter what kind of wine) and create a starter. Stir again 12 and 24 hours later, and add the starter after the must settles following the 24 hour stir. I can see extending this to 48 hours, checking SG every 6 hours (except the middle of the night, I'm not that dedicated!) to see how the SG changes over time with multiple stirrings.
Whispers "Tilt! Tilt! Tilt! You need gadgets! They will help your experiments!" :i

Look I stated it’s not for me , I know what it can do and not do, I’ve tried it all.
I have a AIO vacuum system, I have a Bruno jet system,
What ever you chose to use is on you it’s your wine, I’ve done it and won’t ever do it , it’s not necessary for the amount of wine I do and I prefer the old fashioned wAy of making wine by hand and older methods of processing I have the time .
I enjoy the time spent in the process and im to old to rush it.
That’s just me.

Back