WineXpert De-Gas wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade- When you transfer with the vacumn pump will that degass at the same time

Rob when I transfer from secondary to carboy with the Vacuum pump I let the wine splash rack in and then degas further with the vacuum pump. I have the k-meta added before splash racking.

Dan/Wade,

Can you guys elaborate further. I used the vaccum pump to go from the secondary to another carboy, added the sorbate and K-meta. Now I should be ready to degas, correct? So, now do I just put the vaccum on the carboy and transfer to another carboy? How many times back and forth do you do this at one sitting before adding a clearing agent?

Dan/Wade,

Can you guys elaborate further. I used the vaccum pump to go from the secondary to another carboy, added the sorbate and K-meta. Now I should be ready to degas, correct? So, now do I just put the vaccum on the carboy and transfer to another carboy? How many times back and forth do you do this at one sitting before adding a clearing agent?

Dan used the vacuum pump setup to rack from secondary to another carboy. During this racking, he let the wine splash into the receiving carboy to remove much of the CO2, but it won't get all of it.

You don't rack back and forth several times, here. Once in the new carboy, just hook the pump directly to a single-holed bung placed in the top of the carboy and let the pump "PULL" the remaining CO2 out of the wine. Start off at a low vacuum until you see the bubbles don't foam up a lot. Then turn the vacuum level up to as close to 20 as you can get it to go. Let it run for 10 or 15 minutes at least until no more gas bubbles rise out of the wine.

Next, add the clearing agent(s).

Last edited:
Just make sure you slowly turn it little by little or you will get the surprize of a life time when all the sudden whosh right up into your hose and into your canister which is why its there but I try not to get the hose and canister dirty every time.

Vacuum De-Gassing

I'm a rookie at using a vacuum pump to de-gas. I de-gassed a WE Pinot Noir last night for probably ten minutes. I quit at that point since the tube from carboy had collapsed. Is it normal for the tube to collapse? Do you recommend special tubing?

VTWinmaker

How much vacuum were you pulling? My pump will not go higher than about 18; my hose has never collapsed at that level.

It was pulling about 20.

That's not that much!!!
Try turning the vacuum up slowly to determine at what point the hoses collapse. Give it time to stabilize at each setting. If near 20, you already have a good draw on the carboy, so maybe you will be OK. (Some of the physics experts can chime in about now...)

Hoses should not collapse! Sounds to me like a typical Home Depot hose. I kn ow someone on here said they got theirs there but I know the ones I looked at there and a few other places including Ace Hardware were very flimsy and thats why I decided that when I was selling them o spend a little more and charge a little more for hoses that would not do that.

De-Gassing Vacuum Pump

The hose came from one of the major online wine supply stores. Last night, I connected hose from carboy to one-gallon jug overflow and hose from jug to canister on pump. Tonight, I connected hose from carboy to canister. I started slow and gradually increased pressure. The hose did not collapse. What is correct way to connect hoses?

Thanks,

VTWinemaker

I tend to have a hard time de-gassing, I spend quite a bit of time with the drill attachment (actually spend a lot more time de-gassing then the instructions say), and the past few kits I have done, I still end up with a little bit of effervescence to the wine (I don't seem to have this problem with my wines from scratch so much). I was thinking about trying to degas with a foodsaver to see if there is a difference (before investing in a vacuum pump). Has anyone here ever actually experienced oxidizing wine or ill effect from using a vacuum pump? What should I look out for?

Sarah, there will actually be less of a chance of oxidizing with a vacuum pump. You could actually look in past posts of the ones that Wade use to sell and pick one up on Ebay. I would say before you do that though just double check with him and make sure he doesn't have any more.

Hoses sold at wine stores arent strong enough to be the leading hose but are almost always fine for a racking hose as they dont see the higher vacuums pulled like while degassing.

Back