Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Dave !
I really like your carboy cart,
I am going to have to make some time and make a batch of that triple berry soon !!

Dave is that your peach mango? Or is that a kit? It looks great!

Hey, Sammy! That's the tropical fruit wine (like you made) that we were discussing. It's is made with the peach, mango, pineapple, and strawberry mix I got from WalMart. As "problematic" as it was to make, it turned out awesome!

Clearing Agents

:u

Welcome back to Danger's Lab! I'm your host, DangerDave---:sm

My next project is going to be a side-by-side comparison of the use(s) of bentonite and sparkolloid. I have used sparkolloid exclusively for my signiture wine---Dragon Blood. The lees left by this additive are very light and fluffy, even on the second or third racking. I have to be very, very careful when racking to make sure I do not pick up any of this white fuzzy-looking stuff with my pump. I usually do well, but occasionally, I'll bump my racking cane or something, and have to let the carboy sit and settle out for a few more day (or weeks).

I once heard someone say here that they used bentonite in the primary and treated later with something else (it may have been sparkolloid). So, I currently have a batch of Dragon Blood in the primary, almost dry, wherein I added bentonite per the package directions. After it's dry and degassed, I will add sparkolloid and see if the bentonite helps to "capture" the fluffy sparolloid and create a more solid layer of lees during clearing. I will provide pictures here as it clears, so we can compare to the use of sparkolloid alone. :pic As soon as this batch hits the carboy, I will begin two more batches of Dragon Blood, and use the sparkolloid alone (or in just one of them).

We will see who clears the quickest, and examine the resulting lees. Stay tuned!

Dave, your setup is wonderful, all I have is a tiny room and one table so far. I just started making wine and I have not finished one batch of wine yet but I still find myself saving your recipes and debating on starting them in the next couple days, lol

Keena, I hope this is the beginning of a long winemaking career for you! Keep us posted on how your first batch turns out. And I am always trying to tweek my recipes. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Dave it finally cleared and the last time I checked the bad smell was replaced with a nice fruit flavor but still a jet fuel taste. It is now under the house in the crawl space aging. I can not believe how much lees it threw......

Bentonite in the primary and K.C. - Super-Kleer to fine. that is how I always go. always works great.

The Bentonite traps the particles and makes a sludge at the bottom ... you still have to be careful but just bumping a carboy wont stir up sediment.

Thanks for this wonderful thread full of great ideas and recipes. I see that backsweetening with cane sugar is best. I just purchased a wine conditioner, that I will not be using; as it has a bad after taste in the mouth and I think it will do the same to the wine.

Ditto brom2004. As a newbie I appreciate this thread. I want to learn as much as I can before making the plunge. You have some great ideas, Dave, and a great looking lab. I'll be bookmarking, and returning to this thread often.

Thanks danger im making first first ever batch of wine ever skeeter pee and i followed your guide, racked it off last monday and its pretty dang clear right now thanks for the help

Thanks danger im making first first ever batch of wine ever skeeter pee and i followed your guide, racked it off last monday and its pretty dang clear right now thanks for the help

Thanks, skor! That's what the little "thumbs up" like buuton is for at the bottom of the posts. :D

If you like it, like it! (click on the thumb)

It's been another busy week in the Lab! I've bottled some raspberry merlot, littLEMONkey, Dragon Blood, and green apple riesling. Here's some pics...

100_0793.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0798.jpg

The littLEMONkey is remarkably good! It has a bold lemon flavor with just the right level of sweetness and acidity. Over ice, it's like a fresh glass of lemonade! I hope I can reproduce it!

no pics but its pretty much clear no yellow tint to it is it suppose to be like that?

I added some lemon zest (12 zested lemons in 10 oz of Everclear) to mine at fining. The zest liqueur was very yellow and lemony, and gave my littlemoney lemon wine a lot of extra color and flavor. Since this was my first batch of original lemon, I'm affraid I can't help much.

How does it taste? Are you going to leave it lemon, or flavor it with something?

Back