DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wish I could say the same Val, my strawberry tart is still cloudy after 3 doses of clearing agents and we are going on 2 months plus. I really think I am going to have to run this through the filter a few times. There is about a 1/2 in. of sediment on the bottom of the carboy now. So it is still dropping, but ever so slowly. I can probably say either i used the wrong type of daiquiri mix or something just went wrong in the process somewhere along the line.

I had a batch a couple months back (I think it was my plum version) that wasn't clearing so I ran it through my filter. It still didn't appear clear when I was done but then within a few days it just dropped a ton of sediment and became beautifully clear. So I would definitely give that a try!

I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong as it sounds like others are having trouble when using a lot of strawberries.

Same here 4 gallon batch 3 gallon Carnot cloudy like punch 1 gallon container cleared right up.I added clearing agents while all 4 was in 5 gallon bucket then I put into 3 gallon Carnot then a gallon Carnot so I may break it all down into 1 gallon containers see if that helps

I have seen gallon jugs clear quicker so it is worth a try. The other question I would ask is whether you have both containers in the same spot? Just making sure that one isn't on a table and the other on the floor or something along that line? I few degrees difference in temperature can be enough to help with clearing.

After I added Peptic Enzyme to the Strawberry Tart the wine finally cleared again and we bottled it. The clearing happened in about 5-6 days time like magic. I was expecting it to take much longer if in deed it was Peptic Haze. It tastes just great and won't last long. I will try another batch in a couple of months. Have other DB's going on right now.

Will

I have seen gallon jugs clear quicker so it is worth a try. The other question I would ask is whether you have both containers in the same spot? Just making sure that one isn't on a table and the other on the floor or something along that line? I few degrees difference in temperature can be enough to help with clearing.

Both in the same spot the gallon jug was clear within 4 hours 3 gallon carboy not budging

I am ready to start a new batch . I have 12 lbs. of mixed fruit from Sam's. It has strawberry, peach, pineapple and mango. I am going to make a 6 gal. batch. Has anyone used this mix? I want to add some banana and some golden raisins. What do you think? How much would you add? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Mary Lou

I am ready to start a new batch . I have 12 lbs. of mixed fruit from Sam's. It has strawberry, peach, pineapple and mango. I am going to make a 6 gal. batch. Has anyone used this mix? I want to add some banana and some golden raisins. What do you think? How much would you add? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Mary Lou
I made it with the same mix of fruit, substituted orange and pineapple juice for the majority of the liquid and the rest was lemon juice,also added bananas too , the wife and her friends love it, myself, Ehh? its ok not tropical like i thought it would be and needed acid blend to make it pop.

I had a batch a couple months back (I think it was my plum version) that wasn't clearing so I ran it through my filter. It still didn't appear clear when I was done but then within a few days it just dropped a ton of sediment and became beautifully clear. So I would definitely give that a try!

I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong as it sounds like others are having trouble when using a lot of strawberries.
Thats my next step Val , filter as many times as i can 5micron and 1 micron until she is clear
another question , should i wait for it to be crystal clear before backsweetening and adding the extract and food coloring? my instinct is to say yes otherwise i may strip the color and more flavor when filtering

If doing all blackberries should I drop some of the lemon juice due to be fact that those berries are so high in acid?

If doing all blackberries should I drop some of the lemon juice due to be fact that those berries are so high in acid?

I didn't know blackberries were high in acid. I made some and it was fine (not great) with the recommended amount of lemon, an exceptionally dark beautiful color. But that may explain its tartness.

I can see you are all making some awesome wines! Surprisingly, I have not tried an all blackberry version, but it's on my wish list.

You guys/gals are on your own for the next six months, as I'll be on my walk. I'll try to make occasional updates in the "Five Million Steps" thread so you can see how I'm doing (if you're interested).

Keep the Dragon Blood flowing! I'll catch up with you all in November, as I expect to be shoved into the cellar to refill the racks shortly after my return...:)

Thats my next step Val , filter as many times as i can 5micron and 1 micron until she is clear
another question , should i wait for it to be crystal clear before backsweetening and adding the extract and food coloring? my instinct is to say yes otherwise i may strip the color and more flavor when filtering

If it were my wine, I would run it through the 5 micron, then the 1, and then let it sit for several days to see if it drops some sediment. I would definitely wait until it's crystal clear before proceeding. Good luck and keep us posted!

Mary Lou

I have done a batch with the same mix as well. Other than the different fruit, I followed the DB recipe for sugar and lemon juice, however I always add 2-3 bananas and about a pound of raisins to every DB batch I make. It turned out well but I have to admit it's not my favorite...I personally prefer the berry versions, my that's just me :)

I didn't adjust the acid and, in my opinion, it was just fine. I really do want to get a pH test kit though so I can check things like that, but so far I've just been following the recipe no matter which fruit I drop in to the base.

I can see you are all making some awesome wines! Surprisingly, I have not tried an all blackberry version, but it's on my wish list.

You guys/gals are on your own for the next six months, as I'll be on my walk. I'll try to make occasional updates in the "Five Million Steps" thread so you can see how I'm doing (if you're interested).

Keep the Dragon Blood flowing! I'll catch up with you all in November, as I expect to be shoved into the cellar to refill the racks shortly after my return...:)

I will have to check out that thread, as I hadn't heard you were going "walk-about"! Wow, it won't be the same around here without our guru and mentor, but we will muddle through. What an adventure...can't wait to read all about it!

Good Luck and Godspeed! We will be thinking about you.

I started my first batch of triple berry dragons blood tonight. Right now, it is sitting quietly in the basement. I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow afternoon and let 'er rip. Giving the fruit bag a couple of squeezes, the smell of the raspberries smells like summer. Looking forward to the process and the final product.

Mary Lou

I have used one very similar I got for Costco, called Frestival Mix, it made a wonderful wine one of the family favorites!:try

Mark

Mary Lou

Yes I made a batch of that just about 10 wks. ago. We call it Tropical Blood. It is great and a nice change from the original. It was the 2nd time I made it. I also tossed in a couple cans of frozen Welches 100% White Grape Juice in the fermenter. An idea I got from someone on here last year. I'm getting ready to start another batch of the Tropical next week cause we only have about a have dozen left. I just can't seem to make this Dragon Blood fast enough.

Will

Latest posts

Back