DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an extra 1 gallon of regular DB waiting to be bottled and I added 1/2 of a 12 oz can of mixed berry concentrate last night to do a taste test. Both wines are sitting at 3 wks since they were finished. The regular DB has less aroma and more lemon taste up front. The DB w the berry concentrate has a slightly stronger berry taste but the lemon taste was masked someone. I think I'm going to add the concentrate to about 1/2 of my batch before bottling to give me a fruitier variate. Thanks for putting the idea out there!

Hi, JSquared. Which mixed berry concentrate did you use in your DB? That sounds like a wonderful idea and I'd like to try it, but all the concentrates I have found are either grape based or apple based. Here's one from Old Orchard that sounds good, but when you look at the ingredients the first one is apple juice.
Thanks!! T-O

Slide10.jpg

Hi, JSquared. Which mixed berry concentrate did you use in your DB? That sounds like a wonderful idea and I'd like to try it, but all the concentrates I have found are either grape based or apple based. Here's one from Old Orchard that sounds good, but when you look at the ingredients the first one is apple juice.

Thanks!! T-O

That's the one I used, it is mostly Apple juice but the juice itself has a great Berry flavor. I wish there was an all berry concentrate but I haven't found one yet. It does add nice flavor to the wine, I tried a gallon only, using half the can, to see if I liked it first.

That's the one I used, it is mostly Apple juice but the juice itself has a great Berry flavor. I wish there was an all berry concentrate but I haven't found one yet. It does add nice flavor to the wine, I tried a gallon only, using half the can, to see if I liked it first.

Thanks for the verification, J^2 !! I'll give it a try. I added SuperKleer night before last, so I'm almost to that step.

*_*-Quick, Help

DangerDave’s Dragon Blood Wine
My name is David C. Land (dangerdave). I am a firefighter from southern Ohio who started making wine in August 2011. Like most of you, I began slowly, but was soon bitten by the wine bug and started making many kits in my spare time. After gaining this valuable experience and understanding of the wine making process, I ventured out on my own. My very first homemade recipe was Lon DePoppe's original Skeeter Pee. I was amazed that anyone could make a good cheap wine so quickly. After varying degrees of success, I went about modifying Lon's recipe into a process that reflected both my own desires for my wines, and the processes I had come to understand. Here, I will impart the recipe I developed that has become popular among a diverse group of wine makers. It is specifically designed to make good wine cheaply and quickly while waiting for your kits to age. There are no secrets in wine making. You, my fellow wine makers, are more than welcome to use or modify this recipes or process for your own wine making pleasure. Enjoy!

The recipe is formatted for a six (6) gallon batch. To make a larger or smaller batch, simply do the math. Doubling the batch to twelve gallons would require twice the listed ingredients, while making a three gallon batch would only take half.

READ THROUGH THESE STEPS COMPLETELY BEFORE BEGINNING, TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO FINISH YOUR WINE.

Always make sure anything that touches your wine is both cleaned and sanitized, and record everything you do!

100_0863.jpg

This is a sweet-tart fruity “blush” wine made from raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries with a lemon twist (if desired). It ferments quickly and clears fast. Batches of this wine have been cleared and bottled in less than two weeks (your experience may vary).
* Special notes, including cautions and variations appear in italics.

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon (or larger) primary, add---in this order:
  • 1 bottle (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): More or less lemon juice can be added to your taste, (i.e., if you want to reduce the acid level use less lemon juice). The acid added here will help balance the final wine. Substitutes include any other kind of citrus juice (orange, lime, etc.), or use no citrus at all for a very soft, supple blush.
  • Water to about four gallons
  • 20 cups of white granulated sugar (you will be looking for a SG of around 1.075 after filling to 6 gallons below. This will give you a finished alcohol by volume of about 10%-11%): Add more/less sugar for high/lower desired final ABV. Stir sugar until completely dissolved.
  • 1 tsp. tannin (stir)
  • 3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
  • 1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
  • 3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
  • Top water to six (6) gallons* and stir well
  • Test SG with hydrometer (remember, you are looking for a SG around 1.075) Note: The natural sugars from the fruit (below) will slightly increase the final ABV, so be careful how high you drive up the SG at this point!
    :a1
    Can you explain in detail?

What does he mean with "Top water to six (6) gallons"? Does he mean to add water?

What does he mean with "Water to about four gallons"?

P.S. I'm making a 1 gallon batch, is yeast nutrient/energizer really needed?:a1

Can you explain in detail?

What does he mean with "Top water to six (6) gallons"? Does he mean to add water?

What does he mean with "Water to about four gallons"?

Yes, he means to add water. IN DETAIL, he is saying:
-pour lemon juice into a bucket.
-pour a sufficient quantity of water into the same bucket so as to make the total volume of liquid in the bucket equal to 4 gallons.

-Add sugar etc, blah blah

-pour an additional quantity of water into the same bucket so as to make the total volume of liquid in the bucket equal to 6 gallons.

Is that clearer?

Wine FNG

Hello!

I am in the first week of my wine making career and figured I would stop lurking.

My first DB variant is on day 5 at SG 1.012 made from Strawberry,Blackberry and Raspberry as that is all BJ's had. Excited to say I made wine!

Quick question about Covering the Primary as I close in on 1.010. Do you veterans snap the lid on tight with an airlock at this point or is a loose lid and towel good enough. A bit worried about screwing it up.

As I read through this thread it seems everyone gets a little jumpy on the first batch and now I understand why.

Thanks!

Most leave Lid off with a towel cover. Put under airlock after transfer to secondary.

I do "secondary" in the "primary" bucket so yes, at 1.010 I snap down the lid and add an air lock. I've never done "secondary", DB or otherwise, that was not under air lock so really don't know if leaving a loose lid or towel on the bucket during secondary would ruin the batch.

Hello!

I am in the first week of my wine making career and figured I would stop lurking.

My first DB variant is on day 5 at SG 1.012 made from Strawberry,Blackberry and Raspberry as that is all BJ's had. Excited to say I made wine!

Quick question about Covering the Primary as I close in on 1.010. Do you veterans snap the lid on tight with an airlock at this point or is a loose lid and towel good enough. A bit worried about screwing it up.

As I read through this thread it seems everyone gets a little jumpy on the first batch and now I understand why.

Thanks!

As JetJockey stated, leave a towel over primary or you can leave lid on loosely. You want air to get in there at this stage. Wait until it has gone below SG 1.000 for a couple of days, remove fruit bag, then rack to secondary. No need to move it or lock it down at 1.010.

Hello!

Thanks!

Your doing just fine with your fermentation. And as it has been said you can just leave the towel on or loosely put the lid on. Just make sure you get 3 days of the same SG readings like .992 or .990 so your wine isn't still fermenting. Then your all set to go to the next step as per Danger Dave's recipe. And welcome to this Thread there has Been a lot of good info.posted sense it started.

Will

Last edited:
Thanks all.

It is a leap of faith for me to not cover it tightly as any other fruit juice based liquid would have long since spoiled. I have read and understand the process but actually doing it is another animal.

I suppose after a successful first batch I will be a believer.

Anyhow Day six and SG is 1.00.

I keep a lid on mine (cats) but it is sitting loosely on the top. Don't worry I felt the same way!

Thanks! Tastes like summer and sunshine...lol. It is awesome and is going to taste great sipping on the patio!

Looks beautiful! And I like the label, too.
My first batch of DB is clearing beautifully in the carboy. I'll let it sit for a couple more weeks due to busy weekends coming up, but I'm looking forward to seeing it in the bottles!!

Thanks! Tastes like summer and sunshine...lol. It is awesome and is going to taste great sipping on the patio!
wish I could say the same Val, my strawberry tart is still cloudy after 3 doses of clearing agents and we are going on 2 months plus. I really think I am going to have to run this through the filter a few times. There is about a 1/2 in. of sediment on the bottom of the carboy now. So it is still dropping, but ever so slowly. I can probably say either i used the wrong type of daiquiri mix or something just went wrong in the process somewhere along the line.

wish I could say the same Val, my strawberry tart is still cloudy after 3 doses of clearing agents and we are going on 2 months plus. I really think I am going to have to run this through the filter a few times. There is about a 1/2 in. of sediment on the bottom of the carboy now. So it is still dropping, but ever so slowly. I can probably say either i used the wrong type of daiquiri mix or something just went wrong in the process somewhere along the line.

Same here 4 gallon batch 3 gallon Carnot cloudy like punch 1 gallon container cleared right up.I added clearing agents while all 4 was in 5 gallon bucket then I put into 3 gallon Carnot then a gallon Carnot so I may break it all down into 1 gallon containers see if that helps

Latest posts

Back