DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting close! About to start my first non-kit wine... I"m PUMPED!

Back from my shopping trip to my LHBS and Super Stop & Shop. Thought I had gotten everything I needed to start the DB but managed to forget the Lemon Juice. Also, my wife tells me we're low on sugar. I'll head out tomorrow and get those two ingredients. Probably wait until Monday to start the process.

Oh, paid $7.00 for a big nylon bag @ the LHBS and then passing a paint store on the way home got a bit smaller bag for $1.49. That really hurt this frugal shopper.

BTW, what do you guys use to tie off these nylon bags? Can a sanitized rubber band be use or is this a no-no in the fermentor?

Last edited:
Anybody ever do a costing for making 6 gallons of DB? Now that I know what most of the stuff costs - less lemon juice and sugar - I'm figuring ~ $1.50 per 750ML bottle. This is excluding the cost of the bottle itself and the cork. Also excluding the reusable hardware costs.

Anybody ever do a costing for making 6 gallons of DB? Now that I know what most of the stuff costs - less lemon juice and sugar - I'm figuring ~ $1.50 per 750ML bottle. This is excluding the cost of the bottle itself and the cork. Also excluding the reusable hardware costs.

bkisel, we are in the same blood, errr, I mean the same boat. I am supposed to start MY first DB tonight. I also costed out the consumable ingredients and came to about $1.25 to $1.50/bottle.

bkisel, we are in the same blood, errr, I mean the same boat. I am supposed to start MY first DB tonight. I also costed out the consumable ingredients and came to about $1.25 to $1.50/bottle.

Best of luck in your DB endeavor.

Are you doing any tweaks or sticking right to Dave's recipe first time out?

["costed out the consumable ingredients" why couldn't I have been as concise in my writing?] :slp

Last edited:
I am doing no tweaks -- just the straight recipe. Und du?

I know this sounds stupid but I'm thinking a light touch of raisins or bananas in secondary just so I can call my wine "Raisin Berry" or "Banana Berry". I'm personally okay with the wine being called Dragon Blood but I'd rather not lay that name on more sensitive folks.

BTW, what do you guys use to tie off these nylon bags? Can a sanitized rubber band be use or is this a no-no in the fermentor?

Bill, I'm no pro, having only one DB under my belt, but I just tied the bag closed. I was using a paint strainer bag and had enough room to tie it. Good luck!

I know this sounds stupid but I'm thinking a light touch of raisins or bananas in secondary just so I can call my wine "Raisin Berry" or "Banana Berry". I'm personally okay with the wine being called Dragon Blood but I'd rather not lay that name on more sensitive folks.

I've only tried using bananas in the primary and on that regard they really don't give off a banana flavour. I have also used raisins with the same result. I put 6 bananas in my 6 gal batch of tropical daze and I think I can detect a faint banana flavour. But my purpose was mainly for structure or mouthfeel. If you want impart banana flavour have you checked out the banana wine recipes? Not sure if they use bananas like an f-pack in the secondary. Maybe it would slow the clearing process somewhat?

Carolyn

I've only tried using bananas in the primary and on that regard they really don't give off a banana flavour. I have also used raisins with the same result. I put 6 bananas in my 6 gal batch of tropical daze and I think I can detect a faint banana flavour. But my purpose was mainly for structure or mouthfeel. If you want impart banana flavour have you checked out the banana wine recipes? Not sure if they use bananas like an f-pack in the secondary. Maybe it would slow the clearing process somewhat?

Carolyn

Just prior to getting out of bed this morning I was running through my mind the days planned activities. This included going to the store for the lemon juice and sugar to complete the ingredients for the DB wine. It popped into my mind "LEMON BERRY!". So I've decided now to stick to the recipe, this first time at least, and label my DB "Lemon Berry". That's my final answer.
smilie.gif

Ok, friends!
Im all set to back sweeten and bottle this weekend. I even have my help lined up! if I want to use berries to back sweeten what is the procedure for that? do I make a simple syrup and cook the berries in that or do I just add a few cups of sugar to the berries? will this mess with the clarity at all? I'm just clueless on how to do this but I would like to give it a little bit more berry flavor if possible. As always thanks in advance for your help :)

Hey, Rosa!

Adding a reduced extract to the wine will definately mess up your clarity. You'll have to wait for it to clear again. If you just add sugar, you can bottle if you want---you did add sorbate, right. The wine can seem light on flavor without sugar. Have you tried any bench tests on what amount of sugar you might like? The sweetness will bring out the berries, if you know what I mean.

Everyone else seems to be doing very well. What a great group of crafty wine makers! I'm glad we found a recipe that allows for so much experimentation. We're pushing the envelope on country fruit wine making!

I like tea. I've always wanted to try some tee wine. I also keep a variety of natural fruit extracts and flavorings on hand. Many times, just a touch of addd flavor has helped bring a flat wine into the good range.

Keep up the awesomeness, folks!

Out of town for the weekend (until Thursday) on business. I'll try to check in.

Carolyn

Did you get the structure/mouth feel you were looking for? I thought for that purpose the banana or raisin would go in the secondary.

Need advice please. Started my batch of DB on Wednesday. Used 12 pounds of fruit. Pitched yeast on Thursday -- SG 1.082 temp 75. Fermenting nicely but SG not moving. It is at 1.080. Is there something wrong or am I over anxious? First batch went off fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Did you get the structure/mouth feel you were looking for? I thought for that purpose the banana or raisin would go in the secondary.

I believe so because the one difference I'm experiencing from other DB makers is that my stuff is smooth right out of the carboy... The body is slightly heavier but I am one to use more fruit as well as having a higher abv than the original.

Carolyn

Need advice please. Started my batch of DB on Wednesday. Used 12 pounds of fruit. Pitched yeast on Thursday -- SG 1.082 temp 75. Fermenting nicely but SG not moving. It is at 1.080. Is there something wrong or am I over anxious? First batch went off fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Joann.... What James said plus, you used 12lbs of fruit your SG is probably staying the same because lots of sugar is being released from all that fruit. That's how I accidentally bumped my OG to 1.120 last time. I brought my SG to 1.110 with sugar but them 2 days later as the fruit released it's own sugar I had 1.120!

It will go down it's just going to take a few days :)

Carolyn

Wow Freeze06, nice labels and good lookin' wine! Did you create and print the labels your self, or have them done? I'm still messing with trying to create my labels with no success.

I used PowerPoint to create the design and ordered the labels online. In the future I plan to print them myself.

Hey, Rosa!

Adding a reduced extract to the wine will definately mess up your clarity. You'll have to wait for it to clear again. If you just add sugar, you can bottle if you want---you did add sorbate, right. The wine can seem light on flavor without sugar. Have you tried any bench tests on what amount of sugar you might like? The sweetness will bring out the berries, if you know what I mean.

Everyone else seems to be doing very well. What a great group of crafty wine makers! I'm glad we found a recipe that allows for so much experimentation. We're pushing the envelope on country fruit wine making!

I like tea. I've always wanted to try some tee wine. I also keep a variety of natural fruit extracts and flavorings on hand. Many times, just a touch of addd flavor has helped bring a flat wine into the good range.

Keep up the awesomeness, folks!

Out of town for the weekend (until Thursday) on business. I'll try to check in.

Hummmm..........Would I have to add more clarifying agent, or would it clear on it's own?
I've taste-tested several times, and it's weak in flavor. It basically tastes like sweetened alcohol :-( Perhaps if I let it age, it will get better?

But I did make a reduced extract from 2lbs of berries..........and I feel like I want to try adding it. Anh....WHAT THE HECK! :) Life is short. I'm going to add it and see what happens. Worse thing that happens is I have to add more clarifying stuff, right? And wait a while to bottle....

I only started with 6lbs of fruit. Maybe in the future I need to start with more.

Started mine this past week used lavlin 71b. Looking forward to bottling and tasting. Is this good dry or is it only good as a semi sweet? Wife likes sweet to semi and I like dry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back