Crush w/out destemming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Does anyone process their grapes without destemming? Meaning you crush with stems and press with stems?

You can but that will lead to extra tannins in your wine. No I haven't done that.

Not a problem with whites. In fact, this year, we are not even going to crush out whites. Just toss the whole cluster into the press and apply low pressure over several hours. The stems serve as a channel to allow the juice to escape when under pressure.

Not a problem with whites. In fact, this year, we are not even going to crush out whites. Just toss the whole cluster into the press and apply low pressure over several hours. The stems serve as a channel to allow the juice to escape when under pressure.

I've heard that called the Champagne method, but they normally say that home presses don't have the pressure to do it.

Well we pressed off the whites last friday night. Found that the best tecnique is to load 6 inches of grapes, press, then load another 6 inches press, and so on.

After the press was filled, I then just applied low pressure for a couple of hours. I then had to "Fork" (or stir) the grapes, then apply light pressure again.

The juice comming out of the press had significantly less particulate matter (Pulp, Etc) then when I crushed/destemmed. Can't wait to see what the final product is like.

Well we pressed off the whites last friday night. Found that the best tecnique is to load 6 inches of grapes, press, then load another 6 inches press, and so on.

After the press was filled, I then just applied low pressure for a couple of hours. I then had to "Fork" (or stir) the grapes, then apply light pressure again.

The juice comming out of the press had significantly less particulate matter (Pulp, Etc) then when I crushed/destemmed. Can't wait to see what the final product is like.

You pressed whole clusters? Did you add meta during the long pressing? How big a press do you have?

His press is the sweetest thing Ive ever seen on this Earth! I was thinking of cold pressig my grapes but I did crush them first and immediately put them in the press.

His press is the sweetest thing Ive ever seen on this Earth! I was thinking of cold pressig my grapes but I did crush them first and immediately put them in the press.

Thanks for the complement Wade.

Just to show how sick I am, I installed track lighting so that the press is always illuminated :b

Back