RJ Spagnols CRU Select Nebbiolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petti

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations, tips, tweaks or general experience with this kit.

I do have some extra oak chips I purchased separately (French and American). I also have some tannin powder. Do you think adding any of these to the must would be beneficial?

Thoughts?

Mike

ImageUploadedByWine Making1444843293.192420.jpg

What oak came with the kit? Can't really decide to change oak without knowing what the manufacturer suggests.

BTW, what yeast? Knowing RJS, probably EC-1118.

Steve

Mike, that looks like a nice kit. Nebbiolo is the grape in Barolo (among other wine). I am guessing that the kit did not come with a grape pack. That would be a nice thing to have to add taste and body. I suggest that you look on this site for a post by joeswine where he took a kit and tweaked it in both primary and secondary. I don't want to suggest what you should add, but you could do much worse than looking at Joe's procedure. You might even try PMing Joe. Good luck.

Hey Steve,

The oak that came with the kit just say "light" on the small bag. Also the bag was open when I opened the kit.

Yeah the yeast was EC-1118.

Thanks.

What oak came with the kit? Can't really decide to change oak without knowing what the manufacturer suggests.

BTW, what yeast? Knowing RJS, probably EC-1118.

Steve

Mike, that looks like a nice kit. Nebbiolo is the grape in Barolo (among other wine). I am guessing that the kit did not come with a grape pack. That would be a nice thing to have to add taste and body. I suggest that you look on this site for a post by joeswine where he took a kit and tweaked it in both primary and secondary. I don't want to suggest what you should add, but you could do much worse than looking at Joe's procedure. You might even try PMing Joe. Good luck.

Hey Rocky.

No grape pack. This is the first wine kit I've done without a grape pack.

I think before I change oak or add anything I'll definitely look into Joeswine previous post.

Thanks

Mike

If nothing else, add some raisins to the must when you start fermenting, but if you can get grape skins or fresh wine grapes, even better. Barolo/Nebbiolo should have a relatively high amount of tannin to add body and mouthfeel; good Barolo should be quite dry. I would suggest getting a packet of RC 212 yeast and save the EC-1118 for some future 'experiment.' As for oak, if you like an oaky wine, a medium to heavy toast American or Hungarian Oak would be my suggestion, but Barolo rarely has a strong oak taste (like some Cabernet Sauvignons do).

I figured you might prefer some straight-to-the-point suggestions rather than reading through joeswine's lengthy posts/threads.

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations, tips, tweaks or general experience with this kit.

I do have some extra oak chips I purchased separately (French and American). I also have some tannin powder. Do you think adding any of these to the must would be beneficial?

Thoughts?

Mike

View attachment 25285

I would say yes to both the oak chips and tannin powder. You could use the provided oak in primary and your extra ones in bulk aging.

Bartman has some good suggestions regarding yeast and oak. He is also correct that Barolo is normally very dry (e.g. SG 0.992 or less).

However, I still suggest that reading through Joe's post is worth the time for less experienced wine makers as Joe gives a thorough explanation of what he does and why he does it. His posting is also replete with photos providing a visual in addition to the narrative and this helps a lot.

I would say yes to both the oak chips and tannin powder. You could use the provided oak in primary and your extra ones in bulk aging.

Hi heatherd,

Would you add the tannin powder to primary or secondary?

If nothing else, add some raisins to the must when you start fermenting, but if you can get grape skins or fresh wine grapes, even better. Barolo/Nebbiolo should have a relatively high amount of tannin to add body and mouthfeel; good Barolo should be quite dry. I would suggest getting a packet of RC 212 yeast and save the EC-1118 for some future 'experiment.' As for oak, if you like an oaky wine, a medium to heavy toast American or Hungarian Oak would be my suggestion, but Barolo rarely has a strong oak taste (like some Cabernet Sauvignons do).

I figured you might prefer some straight-to-the-point suggestions rather than reading through joeswine's lengthy posts/threads.

Hey Bartman,

I'm definitely going to try the yeast you recommended. I did a little reading and found that a lot of people prefer this strain (RC-212) for reds.

When adding the raisins should I keep them in a strainer bag?

I think I'm also going to switch the "light" oak for a medium American toast.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted

Bartman has some good suggestions regarding yeast and oak. He is also correct that Barolo is normally very dry (e.g. SG 0.992 or less).

However, I still suggest that reading through Joe's post is worth the time for less experienced wine makers as Joe gives a thorough explanation of what he does and why he does it. His posting is also replete with photos providing a visual in addition to the narrative and this helps a lot.

Hello Rocky,

Thanks for the replies.

I looked through a bunch of Joes threads, he sounds extremely knowledgable. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mike

I'm definitely going to try the yeast you recommended. I did a little reading and found that a lot of people prefer this strain (RC-212) for reds.

+1 to that. Not only that, but RC-212 is particularly recommended for Pinot Noir. (RC212 is a Burgundy isolate.) And Nebbiolo is most frequently likened to Pinot.

rc-212 is better than 1118 but Lalvin BM 4X4 is more to style
http://www.scottlab.com/product-45.aspx
Well, according to the seller, it is. Not to disparage Scott Laboratories, but I am not sure how they decided that was the "best" yeast for that wine or even closest to what is found/used in the Piedmont area. With 79 different 'premium yeasts' they list on that page, I find it hard to believe that their matchings of grape/yeast are not simply scientific 'best guesses' based on chemical traits. Some things have to be experienced to be worthy of recommendation, IMHO.

Moreover, finding that yeast readily available at your LHBS is highly unlikely, while RC212 is usually always available.

Last edited:
Despite my recommending RC-212 above, when I made a Nebbiolo recently I went with SYR yeast based on this recommendation from Morewine: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

And of course someone should mention that BRL97 is an isolate from Barolo fermentations in the Piedmont region.

Last edited:
The rc212 is a good choice and easier to use than other subs mentioned. You will not have to worry about getting it started or Making sure it can finish. I'd certainly go with French oak stave or spirals.

Just pitched my RC-212 yeast and added about 50 grams of medium Hungarian oak clues to my must. This kit smelt amazing, I hope it comes out and tastes just as good. I'm sure this kit will need some age on it in the end. SG 1.100. I'll keep you posted.

Back