RJ Spagnols Cru Select -- Argentina Tannat Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wctisue

Reaction score
After over 125 Winexpert kits and a dozen more Mosti Mondiale kits I've got my first RJ Spagnols kit. I had to almost take the bag of juice out of the box to find the 250g package of dried grape skins at the bottom of the box. Lots of kits use oak chip and/or oak dust but this kit has oak spirals as well as a poorly marked foil package that may contain oak as well.

So HELP!!! Has anyone else done a RJ Spagnols kit and been a little mystified by the instructions (or lack thereof)?

Product date code (on box label) -- I haven't found it

Rehydrating the grapes -- does it matter how much water or long before adding to primary?

When do you add the oak spirals and how long?

Limited Edition kits might be very special a few years from now so I'd like to make the kit correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne

The Tannat Merlot is a 2008 RQ and the date code should be on the label. It should read something like 20080327D, which would mean March 27, 2008. The Tannat was released in April, so it was really packaged up in mid march.

This kit came with GenuWINE skins. They do not need to be re-hydrated, but just put in the muslin sack and tied loosely. Leave room for the skins to float as freely as they can.

As far as oak goes...this is where RJS really falls down on RQ kits. All oak, even the silver package (which should have something like tst40 or other code on it) should be added to the primary. When you rack out of the primary, save the spirals and add them back into secondary, and when you stabilize and rack from there, add the spirals back in again. Remove the spirals after day 42, but it would be better to remove it after day 90, if you are planning to bulk age.

When RJS includes spirals, staves, and beans they should always be added in all 3 stages of the kit. I hope this helps.

Thanks Dean.

Where the date code was surprised me - on the picture of the chicken! Dark print on a dark body made it difficult to see.

When you're used to oak chips the oak spirals look funny on top of the must.

I've already got active fermentation.

Im really hoping that I can get my hands on that kit but currently dont have the money to purchase 1. Hopefully that will change soon as i have 2 big side jobs, 1 is a big 1 that Im starting next week which is a $11,000 complete kitchen redo with granite countertops and dark Cherry cabs with 8pc. crown molding. Hopefully I can bang that out and order that kit before theyre all sold out.

I will look on the box tomorrow at the store. They will all be the same date.

Well, I finally got this kit underway this afternoon. Yes the wine skins were buried and the oak spirals threw me for a loop. Thanks Dean, now I know to move the spirals through the steps. The woman I spoke to from RJ was very friendly and told me to add them to the primary, but mentioned nothing of re-using them through the process. The juice smells wonderful right now and hopefully by the morning the lovely smell of fermentation will permeate the house.
smiley4.gif

I just saved mine till all is done and am bulk aging on the spirals, easier that way as I dont have to try and transfer those while dealing with the grape skins to.

The main problem with the spirals, is that you will not get the extraction required from either a 7 or 14 day primary period. The Extraction requires alcohol, so really it starts around day 3 or 4, and that is just not enough time for bulkier oak products to impart flavor and tannins.

They did the same thing last year with the Bush Vine Grenache.

Opened a bottle today and its already damn good!Oak has to tame down a little more but is good by me as I tend to like a bit more oak then most in red wines.
Edited by: wade

Bottled this kit today. I agree with Wade that it is already very good. Strong, lingering flavors. I did not add extra oak. Should age well but I will probably drink it before it reaches its peak.

Wayne

Opened a bottle of the Tannat Merlot last night and finishing the last glass as I type. Smooth, velvety, big-mouth feel. Still has a great lingering taste. Quality kit. A little aging and I've got a wine that's good enough I don't want to share.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back