Correct storage for pH meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I bought a new pH meter from George for last seasons grapes. When I got it I also purchased all of the related solutions to calibrate and store it. The meter is a pHep5 and it has a cap that protects the electrode. Using the meter is very simple but I'm not exactly sure how to store it until next season. Am I supposed to put the storage solution in the cap and then store the meter in an upright position to hold it in? I've found that the solution crystallizesand dries up in time and leaves a salty looking powder on the meter. Should I change this monthly? If anyone has any tips for pH meter storage I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The solution does evaporate leaving salt crystals behind. Wash them off with tap water, then rinse in distilled water. Refill the cap and store. Check periodically and clean and refill as necessary.

For that very reason I have switched to storing mine in either the 4.01 or 7.01 solution. Then I just set the meter in a small beaker or cup to keep it upright.

Back