Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the purpose of the vax is to protect yourself, not others. However, I will say that I got a smallpox vax and I never expect to get smallpox. Can you say the same for this?
You‘re pretty much way over the edge of staying out of making political statements on the site, but I will say:

You did a poor job educating yourself if you expected the vaccine to 100% prevent you from contracting the original virus. That’s all I’ll say, if I really unleash, @ibglowin might have to boot me.

I do question the total cases reported. I think they may be a bit low, and this is based on my experience. I know of 5 people within my extended family that got sick, self tested positive for Covid, and then self isolated to recover. These 5 cases went unreported as these were self tests at home. So, I think the total case count may be higher do to my experience. No proof, just an hypothesis.

I believe the purpose of the vax is to protect yourself, not others. However, I will say that I got a smallpox vax and I never expect to get smallpox. Can you say the same for this?

Part of why you got a smallpox vax and never expect to get smallpox that you may not be aware of, smallpox is generally regarded as a HUMAN alone virus. It doesn't infect other species. While Coronoviruses can and do infect other species and jump from one species to another. It is going to be much harder to eradicate. Also please investigate first smallpox vaccine was developed in about 1790, considered eradicated in the 1970's.

absolutely! the world wide vaccination effort is being done to stop transmission.
we are in a situation similar to 1940 where we grow a virus in chicken eggs (or folks who carry long COVID) and it replicates and evolves to become better adapted to the chicken (human), and then we have future strains develop with resistance to the host defenses.

covid in humans isn’t very different from black rot on grapes ,,, can you get a crop if you never spray your grapes?

Don’t we hear enough about covid on all our news feeds? I thought this was a wine making forum.

Well this is the "Chit Chat" section of the forum with a thread title of "Corona virus day to day" which is something that affects all of us. It would be easy enuf to skip the thread if you are not interested.

I do question the total cases reported. I think they may be a bit low, and this is based on my experience. I know of 5 people within my extended family that got sick, self tested positive for Covid, and then self isolated to recover. These 5 cases went unreported as these were self tests at home. So, I think the total case count may be higher do to my experience. No proof, just an hypothesis.

I can't imagine that the "total cases" figure could be any kind of indicator of where the virus is at. It certainly has a lot to do with the amount of testing being done which is pretty variable. The data points I'm looking for is hospitalizations, deaths, number of vaccinated people per capita in given areas. Also, how well hospitals are equipped with staff and equipment. Even percentage of positives in a given area is more helpful.

Last edited:
Just lost an unvaxxed friend (57, no underlying conditions except like most Americans, he was overweight) in December.

My fam all tested negative with at home tests before gathering for Christmas. Two days later, my vaxxed but not eligible for boost nephew tested positive with minor cold symptoms. None of the rest of us (all boosted) who had spent 2 or more days with him tested positive at all, although some of us had some sniffles.

It really hits home after the loss of my friend, and I'm so grateful hubby's family and mine all have the opportunity (and pay attention to the science) to be vaxxed and boosted. My nephew would have been devastated if anyone had gotten really sick or died, knowing he was the one who was positive. Sister's fam tries to be careful about balancing the kids' needs for school and sports with safety.

My experience is the same here in LA, most of my employees and friends are using home tests these days, none of the tracking mechanisms, as far as I know, are tracking those positives. Thank goodness this strain doesn't seem to be as bad as previous ones.

My daughter lost her MIL in December to COVID. Her children’s paternal grandmother. It was very sad and somewhat infuriating. They were adamant anti-vaxers. Daughter’s husband was the only one on that side of the family who got vaccinated. They are all getting it now after they lost their mother, grandmother, aunt, wife and caregiver to her husband (FIL) who suffers from Parkinson’s. Such a waste and totally preventable.

My wife and I got our booster shots on sunday, was scheduled to get it 2 weeks sooner but She,I and my 1 yr old son spent christmas quarantining with covid, The first few days were no fun at all stuck in bed with Fever and a headache from hell, The biggest worry was for our son but he was a champ. The only benefit to being off for 10 days was having the time to rack over all the wines from the fall season.

Regardless of vax status, beliefs, etc; it's frightening to think that almost two years into this, over 800k new cases were reported in the US yesterday alone (according to the CDC). As others have noted, that doesn't include those who tested at home and didn't confirm with a clinical test elsewhere. At that pace, the entire country would've had COVID in about a year, so this thing is certainly morphing and people are getting it repeatedly.

Well this is the "Chit Chat" section of the forum with a thread title of "Corona virus day to day" which is something that affects all of us. It would be easy enuf to skip the thread if you are not interested.
My bad. I was thinking maybe the post had something to do with possible contamination of wine due to exposure to the virus. I will be more prudent about what I click on in the future

My bad. I was thinking maybe the post had something to do with possible contamination of wine due to exposure to the virus. I will be more prudent about what I click on in the future

1641346337714.png

Oh, gosh! I hope the ABV and low pH can kill the virus if it's present. ;)

I've been contemplating making a covid 19 themed label for a batch of elderberry/mulberry wine I made recently but I almost feel its disrespectful to a really nice wine.😊

Time does magic, as a relational point; if a few seconds of 60% alcohol rubbed on the hands kills a target (alcohol is a dehydrating chemical), if three days in an air drying environment also kills the target, being held a week under 11% alcohol ought to also do the job. , , , The micro courses never made mention of virus transmission being a risk in beer at 5% alcohol.
I hope the ABV and low pH can kill the virus if it's present. ;)

Back