Corks difficult to pull

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
I used some 9 x 1 1/2 corks that came with my wine making equipment from Fine Vine Wines. They are the glued together cork pieces type corks. I installed them with a hand corker. To sterilize them I did as Fine Vines videos suggested. I placed them in a colander and placed the colander in a bucket with some kmeta in water. The corks never got wet from the kmeta solution. These things are tough to pull and not consistent. Some come out with more than the difficulty of a commercial wine. Some surprise me that I am able to remove them in one piece. What can I do to fix this?

I have several and yes it is fully inserted. They are definitely more difficult than any commercial wine I've opened.

Sounds to me like you are getting a great seal on the bottles. You could get some 8 1/2 corks and they would come out easier, but they don't give as good of a seal. Mine are usually pretty tight also, but I am happy with that. Never have any wine leaking thru the cork. Arne.

There are some plastic-type corks that take Hercules to not only pull them but they also insert with great difficulty. Use noma korc--if you want a synthetic cork-- and you won't have that problem.

I used the same corks and have the same problem. I bought better corks (same size) and they do remove easier.
The corks made from cork pieces tend to break apart when being removed.

freqflyer:

It could be the bottles. Some have slightly narrower necks than others. And yes, I have experienced your problem.

Steve

cpan these are reused bottles from wine I've bought in the store. The original corks came out fine.

Latest posts

Back