cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
Both my hand corker and floor corker often leave about 1/8 of an inch of cork outside the bottle. What is the trick to make it flush?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the hand corker, but on your floor corker you should be able to adjust the depth of the cork by turning the stop on the top and raising it up. That way, the plunger will push it further in before the stop hits the top of the corker.

You could be overfilling your bottles. Also floor corkers (at least the ones I've seen) and some hand corkers have a depth adjustment.

Can you post a picture of the neck of a bottle showing how much space under the cork?

Steve

You could be overfilling your bottles. Also floor corkers (at least the ones I've seen) and some hand corkers have a depth adjustment.

Can you post a picture of the neck of a bottle showing how much space under the cork?

Steve

You can see through some of the bottles. It is not that full.
14334858427_3d9cb4f158_b.jpg

Looks like the fill level is pretty good. Have a look for the adjustment on your corkers.

Steve

Yes, there is an adjustment nut on the floor corker. Another way to do it, especially on some of the shorter bottles with short necks like the Charles Shaw bottles, is to put a piece of wood under the bottle to get it up a little higher.

Back