Cork Humidor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle several carboys in a week or two and have an opened bag of about 80 corks. I did not want to sanitize by soaking because of George's warning and personal experience of breaking several cork screws trying to remove soaked corks from bottles. So I'm going to use a cork humidor. I needed a way to keep the SO2 solution stable in the bucket, so I've taken my beer can chicken rack and placed a long neck beer bottle of SO2 solution where the can goes and placed it in a small plasticpail with the lid. I surrounded the bottle with the corks. I presume this will work. Edited by: dfwwino

Sounds like an awesome idea and think I will do something like this as I now have a bucket from my Mosti all juice kit that is too small to ferment in since I only do 6 gallon batches. Not sure how I will do it yet though.

Edited by: wade

That does sound like a good idea for the humidor.

Wade don't discount the idea of the Mosti container as a primary. The 6 gallons of juice that came in it was about 4 inches from the top in the Pinot Noir All Juice. I started that one in a regular primary(7.9 gallons) since I found it easier to pour into another anyway. I started an Island Mist the same day and did theat in the Mosti container. It worked fine, not even close to overflowing. I think you could use it for all but the most vigorous fermenters.

True is you, Just dont do a red in there and I should be fine! Althogh I already have 4 primaries and another could be dangerous without dble the carboys I have. I just might get myself in trouble this way. I was at the store today and they are having a big sale on these beautiful big plums which I really want to do but do not have a spare carboy as I have to bottle a few batches for the kits I have in primaries right now and dont have a big freezer anymore since the wife wanted to get rid of it!
4_9_15v.gif

Edited by: wade

Latest posts

Back