Confused?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chatterbox

Reaction score
So for our first winemaking experience, we chose to order a kit. Island Mist. Well we are on Day 5 and since we've been home from work, the thing is bubbling. It says to wait for Day 8 before racking into the carboy. Is it okay that is not bubbling?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Check SG with hydrometer. Dont go by # of days as thats just a basic guide, go by SG using hydrometer as thats a wine makers tool to knowing exactly whats going on. You could of just not put the lid on properly or not have gotten a good seal with the rubber grommet where the airlock goes in.

It isn't unusual for the Island Mist kits to go a bit faster than the directions, especially before autumn and winter. Check the kit with a hydrometer and see if it is about 1.010. If it is, I would go ahead and rack it now. If much higher, you could wait until it gets down there before racking. Have fun and good luck.

So we can just pull the lid off to check the SG? And if it isn't at 1.010...what do I do?

Yes you can take the lid off and use a sanitized hydrometer to check the SG. If it is higher, just give it another day and check again and so on.

As you can tell this is our first try! Thanks for the HELP!!!! I'm sure I will be back :)

Back