Concord wine recipe suggestions please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiljoy

Reaction score
I have about 12-14 pounds of Concord grapes in my freezer. I grow the grapes myself. I usually hold the Concord back to make pies, but I think I still have a bag from the year before. Since they are taking up my freezer space, I’m going to make wine this year. I found recipes on Jack Keller’s site.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques10.asp

My question:
Jack lists three recipes. The first recipe is a lighter wine only using 6 Lbs. of grapes. The second is a heavier wine using 12 Lbs. I’d like everyone’s suggestion as to which recipe to use. If you’ve ever had Manischewitz, that’s not what I’d really like to go for. But I’m having trouble imagining a lighter dryer concord being any good. I suppose I could split the difference. I’m torn, any suggestions from concord connoisseurs?

I would use all of them for 1 gal batch. 6# will give you a very thin wine

I was just wondering...

A friend of mine has a concord grape vine that has been growing on his fence line for about 15 years now..

He said I can have as many grapes as I want, when there ready around mid Sept.

I'm very new to making fresh fruit homemade wine but was wondering will this be ok because of the vine being so old..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't most "Quality" vines last only 2 to 3 years when they lose there Prime for making the premo wines..?

He also told me there smaller then the ones you find at the store. I told him, I could be wrong but the concord grape you buy at the store are probly bigger because there commercially grown. Is that right..?

Thx...

I believe that is totally wrong. It takes a few years...3-5 for vines to present grapes that are viable for wine making.....

Old Vine Zinfandel grapes are supposedly from vines that are VERY old.....

Take your friend up on his offer.

Pie???????? ;)

Here try this:
for 1 gal
12# concord
2 pts water
1.5 cup sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden
1 tsp nutrient
Montrachet yeast

I started with SG 1.094 TA 0.8 (use calcium carbonate to lower TA)

Julie

Pie? Oh yea. Old Betty Crocker recipe that my mom made when I was a kid. Not many people have had it, but oh so good!

Xdriver
Not many stores actually sell fresh concord grapes. They have a poor shelf life. My vine took about 3 years before producing. These American Hybrids are very prolific and last many many years if properly attended.

My neigbor also has a vine that he doesn't touch. It looks horrible, has a few diseases and produces few grapes if any.

I found the recipe on line. It seems to have neglegted to put temperature and time. But, it gives you an idea.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/375/grape-pie.html
Ingredients:
Pastry for two crust pie 9"
5 1/3 grapes
1 1/3 cups sugar
4T flour
1 1/3 t lemon juice
dash of salt
1 1/3 T butter

Directions:
Remove and save skins from the grapes. Put pulp into saucepan without water and bring to a rolling boil. While hot, rub through strainer to remove seeds. Mix strained pulp with skins. Mix together the next two ingred. and mix lightly through grapes. Sprinkle with the next two ingred. Pour grapes into pastry-lined pan, and dot with butter. Cover with top crust. Bake until crust is nicely browned and juice begins to bubble through slits on crust. Serve cool or slightly warm, but not hot.

Latest posts

Back