concord grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrad

Junior
Reaction score
So i crushed the grapes with my feet, after washing with a bleach solution, sterilized the must, pitched the yeast, everything is working beautifully. My sg was1.1 at start and I havent taken it lately, but there is still active fermentation going on in the primary fermentater. The grape skins and seeds have been taken off about a week ago. Should I still be stiring the must to get oxygen in? As its still actively fermenting or should i transfer to the secondary fermenters? I'm afraid if I stir It may let bacteria into the wine. But I'm afraid if I rack it into the secondary fermenters it may bubble over. Help LOL

During fermentation stir twice daily to allow oxygen to help the yeast. After 4 days take a gravity reading to keep tabs on it. If you started at 1.100 it will be a little high on alcohol, hope you used a good yeast for it.

Once gets around 1.020 remove all the grapes and allow it to finish fermenting. It should reach 1.000 or lower before it ceases fermenting. Then you may rack into your secondary and clear.

thanks dj, i just took a reading and it was 1.04 so I guess still a ways to go.

Amrad, I did some Concord this year too. It sounds like you were smart getting the seeds and skins off early. I leave them in just long enough to give some color then out then go. Concords can have an unusual taste from fermenting with the skins on.
Dont worry about bacteria if you are practicing good cleaning habits, stir it up gently once or twice a day. I would keep an eye on the sg every other day now. When you hit 1.020 transfer to a carboy but do not top off. If you need to, put some in a bottle to save for when you do top off.
I hope you have patience, you should let this bulk age a year and bottle age a year.
Cheers

Thanks ks yeh I have been very anal about sterilizing everything that goes near the wine. I even wipe the outsides of the primaries down with a sponge with bleach and water after i stir just to make sure that there is no drops for fruit flies to feast on.
After I took the sg I just had to sneak a taste, yummm its still quite sweet but with a very pronounced concord smell and taste. Its getting alcoholic but no odd smell or taste ya i'll def let it sit for a year.
My next venture will be a green tea ginger wine i made a batch last year and it was great.

Be careful with the bleach. A better choice would be to use cleaning strength k-meta. The chlorine in the bleach if coming in contact with your corks can cause cork taint. Some guys ban it entirely from the winemaking area.

Be careful with the bleach. A better choice would be to use cleaning strength k-meta. The chlorine in the bleach if coming in contact with your corks can cause cork taint. Some guys ban it entirely from the winemaking area.

I agree, although the possiblity of TCA infection for an amateur winemaker is highly unlikely. For even a remote possibilty of TCA infection, you need to have (at minimum) chlorine, a certain type of mold, and phenols (compounds found in wood preservitives and fire retardants) together at the same time. Even if you have all three of these together, TCA infection is still not a sure thing.

Most people ban Chlorine (as stated above) entirely from their wineries. This removes one of the "must haves" for TCA infection. Any kind of "Oxy" type cleaner is now the preferred way to go.

Sorry for the long involved response, I just do not want to put things in perspective and not scare Amrad.

Latest posts

Back