Coming Over To The Dark Side

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Okay everyone, as you all know I am making a Malbec and it is fantastic and I went out and bought a Malbec today to see if this was a fluke. The commercial bottle was actually not as good as my wine which is only about 18 days into it. This is just my opinion and I surely am no Red wine judge. It was very good though and this is what makes me post this. I really have ot liked Red Wines until now and really have not had much reds except for at local wineries. This being said, I guess i dont like the wimpy reds as none of the reds I have had have been really oaked. I guess really only like a heavily oaked very dark wine> What are some other wines in this area. Am I looking for a Cab, Syrah,Noir, etc.

If you like the dark tannic reds you will really enjoy the WE Crushendo Supertusan at the tasting as you almost need a spoon it is so chewy with body!

I was going to serve my Stags Leap Merlot but it needs more time and I hope it mellows some since I added extra oak.
smiley5.gif

Im beginning to think that a lot of oak is what i like as I was chewing on some of the heavy toasted Hungarian oak that came with this kit like it was chocolate.

Masta what was the oak count with the Super Tuscan- if I remeber right there were 2 dark oak powders and 2 dark toast oak cubes for a total of 4 packs. I opened another one a few nights ago and finished it off last evening after another long day at the Vine Trial. Only took samples this time and picked Noiret grapes(one of the members wanted that one and was flying over the North and South Poles for the next few weeks so we got them for him). I have started heavily oaking most of my reds also.

That sounds right about the oak in the Supertuscan appleman. I wouldn't add any extra to this kit since the balance is just right.

Wade, if you like heavy, dark, and somewhat oaky wines, I'd say Shiraz is good to try. Amarone is certainly the heaviest and most full bodied you will ever get, but it is expensive.

If you are looking to *make* a wine like that, Cellar Craft Amarone is the signature kit, but CC Amarone is hard to find in the US. The RJS Winery Series Shiraz gets rave reviews from all my family and friends, but I'm still looking for a bit more "spicy" from a shiraz kit. I hope to hear Masta's review of his MM Shiraz once its ready.

I've not made a Cab Sauv that even comes close to commercial, so I don't try anymore. Other killer full bodied reds that come to mind are: Cote Rotie (Shiraz/viognier blend), Chateauneuf du Pape (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre/etc blend), and Italian Brunello di Montalcino. All are very full bodied reds, some heavily oaked, while others are not that heavily oaked, but still have a hint of it. All of them are FULL of flavor.

I did try a bottle of the MM Shiraz and it was good but definitely needs more time in the cellar.

I like you am still searching for that spicy/black pepper Shiraz!

Will start getting some more reds under my belt and get some oak to have handy for the 1s I feel need more. I believe that is why I have not liked to many reds as I believe that Im an oaker. True woodworker true and true.
Thanks guys.

At the tasting Wade I will throw a few chunks of oak on the grill for you and you can wash it down with a few glasses of wine!
smiley36.gif

I am going to makethe Frozen Must Petit Syrahs with some heavy french oak. This may be our test wine that we aremake 3 of. One as soon as it comes in. One frozen allowed to warm up on its own and one frozen and warmed using a brew belt. Joseph or I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back