Cold Enough for Ya ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angell Wine said:
80 Deg today ;Tomorrow the high will be in the 40's. Cold weather for use down south. Probably need to add a blanket to the bed.
Maybe close the window too...
smiley4.gif

They are talking like we may have an ice storm. Could be the second one this year.

BTW, I had to turn on the A/C today!

Well thank you very much for that! Poor Bert and I headed out to the land of beer and honey (Wisconsin) on Thursday evening and only made it 70 miles down the road before we quit for the night. Snow blowing over the highway made it too dangerous to be out there. Friday morning I fired up the big pick up and it squealed like a pig getting it's tail cropped!
smiley5.gif
Let it run for about 25 minutes before we left and it was JUST starting to warm. We were happy when we got to our destination and it was almost up to zero!
smiley19.gif

This is a great country. And we can make our wine any where in it. I woke up on a soap box this morning.

Well, it's warmed up to 2 above -- and only got to 3 below last night -- better than it was in the few nights before that. However, all this talk about cold and how to cope with it gave me AN IDEA!

Check out my new method for keeping the carboys warm and bubbling! And, it saves electricity because I don't have to use those heating pads anymore!(I guess it's great ideas like these that moved me from a "newbie" to a "groupie!")
smiley4.gif

2006-02-19_144530_PinotStoveTHMB.jpg

OilnH2O.....
You don't a fire in that pretty wood cook-stove...do you????
Congrats on another 'Star' by your name....
2006-02-19_152002_smiley_star.gif

Our house is pretty warm [wood furnace downstairs]actually hot in here..... but.... I have been putting the primary buckets next to the fridge in the kitchen...there seems to be a steady stream of warm air coming out from under this fridge, so...recycling that heat.
I think if you make wine in gallon jugs you could keep them warm on top of the fridge, seems it is always warm up there too. Have an old fridge downstairs in the laundry room, there is always a cat sleeping up on top of that one, so I have put a cat bed up there for them.
For us during the summer I keep the primary in an unused small bathroom and turn up the baseboard heat....Primary fermenting is just a few days, so we have to make-do with the resources we have....
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

OilnH20,

Your wine looks great. I have had a small electric heater running to keep my wine and hubby's beer warm.

I think you live in the banana belt, we had -28 yesterday and a low of -15.5 below last night. Brrrrrrrrrrr. Not too bad now we have 16 above
smiley4.gif

Ouch......those temperatures are ugly. I'm all about not living somewhere you have to worry about body parts freezing off.
smiley11.gif

But even here in S. Louisiana we got into the 30s with wind chill....practically kills people here to be that cold.
smiley36.gif

USAFCajun

Latest posts

Back