Cold Enough for Ya ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Quebec occaisionally gets ice storms that sort of look like that, but that looked the mother of them all! I don't think you can even buy a windshield scraper big enough for all that!

Greetings from Minnesota...When it's cold...
 -12*F = -24*C
2006-02-05_162153_-12F.jpg

The tough go to the lake at 8AM to begin a fishing contest.

2006-02-05_163511_fish.jpg

My sweetie got a 8# 14 oz fish...3rd place.Was the coldest day of the winter...so far...It actually warmed up during the day and was nice....NICE is
relitive......
2006-02-05_162629_cold.gif
2006-02-05_163159_cold_2.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Masta,

Those pictures are beautiful!!!! I love winter. One thing I would love to do is spend a vacation at the Ice Hotel in Quebec....ever see it!!!?

What an unusual get away!!!

Ramona

Dean, Ever been there?Edited by: rgecaprock

rgecaprock said:
Masta,

Those pictures are beautiful!!!! I love winter. One thing I would love to do is spend a vacation at the Ice Hotel in Quebec....ever see it!!!?

What an unusual get away!!!

Ramona

Dean, Ever been there?

I've never been there, but I have seen many pictures. I have a lot of friends that live out that way. I'm all the way opposite on the West Coast, but lately we are calling it the "Wet Coast" as we have just had 2 months of almost non-stop rain. It really doesn't get cold here, rarely dips below freezing, but it sure rains a lot.

Dean...
Where do you live on the 'Wet Coast'?My brother lives on Vancouver Island, they are growing web feet.
The winter I spent on Vancouver Island the sun didn't shine for 50 days...the newspaper issued certificates saying "I Lived Through the Dark Age'Really dreary, warm tho...I think I'll take the cold, at least it is sunny most of the time.
This year we had 6 weeks of above normal temps, that was good....but it was cloudy, foggy, misty and dreary, especially during the shortest days of the year....I am a sun lover, even if it's cold....
2006-02-06_125956_big_sun.gif
Also like clean air...but the long winters are a drag...just have to find fun things to pass the time....Like make wine....
smiley4.gif

Wow, that makes Montana seem like a tropical paradise
smiley36.gif
I've never had to scrape that much ice off the car.

Northern Winos said:
Dean...
Where do you live on the 'Wet Coast'?My brother lives on Vancouver Island, they are growing web feet.
The winter I spent on Vancouver Island the sun didn't shine for 50 days...the newspaper issued certificates saying "I Lived Through the Dark Age'Really dreary, warm tho...I think I'll take the cold, at least it is sunny most of the time.
This year we had 6 weeks of above normal temps, that was good....but it was cloudy, foggy, misty and dreary, especially during the shortest days of the year....I am a sun lover, even if it's cold....
2006-02-06_125956_big_sun.gif
Also like clean air...but the long winters are a drag...just have to find fun things to pass the time....Like make wine....
smiley4.gif

I'm in a Vancouver suburb called Delta, and this winter has been one of the wettest on record for us. I'm orginally from Edmonton, Alberta which is a lot like the area you are in. Cold, yet sunny, with access to beautiful country lakes for ice fishing! I miss being able to do that easily, however, being where I am, I can book a boat to go salmon fishing one day, and then drive to a ski resort the next all within 1 hour of home, so I guess it all evens out. I can have snow when I want it, and sunshine if I climb a mountain to get above the clouds!

I'm in a Vancouver suburb called Delta, and this winter has been one of the wettest on record for us.  I'm originally from Edmonton, Alberta which is a lot like the area you are in.  Cold, yet sunny, with access to beautiful country lakes for ice fishing!  I miss being able to do that easily, however, being where I am, I can book a boat to go salmon fishing one day, and then drive to a ski resort the next all within 1 hour of home, so I guess it all evens out.  I can have snow when I want it, and sunshine if I climb a mountain to get above the clouds![/QUOTE]

Sorry Dean, I didn't see your post till now. You live in the Paradise of Canada....lucky you.
I also am originally from the Edmonton, Alberta area [Vegreville] a Russian town, with a good mix of German and French immigrants, my maiden name was Bienvenue...can't get more French than that, mother was German.
My maternal Grandparents had an orchard in the Frazer Valley of British Columbia. We use to love to go there during the summer and go to the fields and be with the migrant workers, Chinese and Mexican, would play with their kids, seems no language barrier with children at play. He raised 15 acres of raspberries, 5 acres of strawberries, cherries and other fruit trees.....must be all houses and development now...a shame.
My parents retired to the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, was lots of orchards there then. See now that there are alot of Wineries there...signs of the times.
You sure have access to many fruits in Beautiful British Columbia...you should be able to make some delicious wines.
smiley4.gif

Minnesota is a bit warmer than Edmonton, but we get some pretty fierce Alberta Clipper storms that hit us here. The north winds can be brutal...but it all passes and spring eventually returns, and winters are forgotten....the Earth has rested.

Awesome and beautiful pictures …. Makes me cold just to look at them. I gotta go put a jacket on. Margaret

Looks like Winter is coming in for the weekend for us...Winter Storm watch has been changed to a Blizzard Watch!

8-14 inches of snow...2-3 inches a hour and winds to 50 mph!

Sucks!

Yikes!!!! That's alot of everything....we haven't had it that bad..[yet]....Good luck...stay inside with a nice bottle of wine and think spring!!!!

Masta,

Just saw that on the news. Wish I could be in that!!! Take pictures for us.

Ramona

OldWino said:
Thank GOD im a southern wine making country boy.  65 f  to day cold this weekend to   highs in the 45's.

Did you say COLD this weekend??? 45*F for a high...sounds like the tropics to us....
We are expecting a Arctic cold front to blow through tonight...with winds up to +35MPH...the actual temps will be -25*F [-31*C] Tomorrow we are expecting actual HIGH temps of -14*F with windchills of -45*F to -55*F....Our weather warnings say to wear gloves and a hat...[That's a good idea]...
It also warned of frost bite, hypothermia. life threatening situations, flesh can freeze in 10 minutes....Gee....somone remind me why we live here??????
2006-02-16_181008_cold.gif
2006-02-16_181023_cold_2.gif

We did go to the lake fishing today...snug in our heated shanty, a balmy +6*F outside.....[brought home 2 small ones]..some local Amish kids took their team of horses and a bobsled out to the lake to get a few fish too...[should have taken a photos of that]Now YOU don't see that every day!!!!
So we do live a 'Good Life' up here on de-tundra....
smiley4.gif

Here's a couple shots of the fish/spearing shanty and our old jalopy that get's us out onto the frozen lake...also a shot of the decoy and a small bass in the fish/spearing hole....
2006-02-16_182336_Feb06_357.jpg
2006-02-16_182434_Feb06_367.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

80 Deg today ;Tomorrow the high will be in the 40's. Cold weather for use down south. Probably need to add a blanket to the bed.

Latest posts

Back