CO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I usually buy juice buckets. Why do some juice buckets seem to make more CO2. I am aging 12 gallons from L'uva Bella juice in Ca. Both have been racked 3 X. They are really fizzy like alka seltzer. What causes the CO2 and why do some juices seem to make more?

i notice this too. Co2 in wine from juice buckets does seem more substantial and lingers a lot longer. Never wondered why. But not bad thing. I just view it as the wine is being protected from o2 that much longer while it ages. and as long as co2 is in there the so2 ppm should hold steady too.

.. you may have better bubble integrity with a must that has functional protein structure, in the food world that usually means a larger molecule
.. natural fermentation bubbles are supposed to last longer than artifical carbonation bubbles
.. bubbles will be retained longer with a lower temperature liquid

the volume of gas ought to be a function of the sugar

So if I am adding sugar in the primary(which I do), am I enabling the bubbles???

Sugar is the yeast food in your system and CO2 is one byproduct (poop), sugar is extremely clean of protein, minerals and fats therefore by itself will not change bubbles you see. Looking at @Ajmassa comment it seems to be saying that fresh juice has less of this trait than buckets, one difference is that buckets have uncontrolled exposure to temperature over time therefore there is some risk of microbial growth, some low temperature bacteria (psychrophyles) produce slime that might stabilize bubbles (like zanthan gum from aspergillus sp). Curious next question are the legs/ body on buckets better than the original juice? or if I chill white juice to pull tartrates out does the body/ texture improve? ,,,,
So if I am adding sugar in the primary(which I do), am I enabling the bubbles???

Simply based on pH the health risk is low, ,,,, however micro sampling of buckets versus the juice when produced would be a neat project for a grad student to write a thesis on. , ,,,,Humm when I have purchased refrigerated pails of sliced mushroom they had a preservative in them but after weeks could mold. ,,, and I think I saw measurable viscosity changes on refrigerated cider this year.

. Looking at @Ajmassa comment it seems to be saying that fresh juice has less of this trait than buckets, one difference is that buckets have uncontrolled exposure to temperature over time therefore there is some risk of microbial growth, some low temperature bacteria (psychrophyles) produce slime that might stabilize bubbles (like zanthan gum from aspergillus sp). Curious next question are the legs/ body on buckets better than the original juice? or if I chill white juice to pull tartrates out does the body/ texture improve? ,,,,

Sounds like you are comparing buckets to actual fresh juice. As in, purchasing unprocessed juice straight from the vineyard. For the record I referenced “wine from juice buckets” to be interchangeable with the term “wine from fresh juice”
Or sometimes call it “seasonal juice buckets”. And based on previous conversations i think @cuz might be doing the same. As far as availability— these seasonal juice pails are the only fresh juice we can make. Otherwise the only other wines i can compare it to are from fresh grapes.

Aj is correct - we are talking about seasonal juice pails.

I think you all answered the question. The sugar (natural or added) causes the CO2 so we just have to be patient and keep racking.

I have still lots of Co2 in my wine (Merlot - juice). Is there something i can do to remove it quicker?
I've already racked the wine twice. Will filtering the wine help or just keep racking the wine?
Thank you
Dom

Will filtering the wine help or just keep racking the wine?

Filtering will almost certainly remove the CO2. I always filter my wine and between the pump and filter pad, you can see CO2 being evolved from the wine. I use a plate&frame pad filter and can see the CO2 bubbling out the sides of the filter. I'm not sure if you'd get the same thing with a cartridge filter. The pump also seems to provide enough agitation that you can see bubbles in output wine stream.

CO2 comes out better at higher temperatures, raise the temp as much as possible.
WMT has had a discussion about using a VacuVin,
I have still lots of Co2 in my wine Is there something i can do to remove it quicker?
I lost sight of that in the reading of the post. An easy way to degas a gallons glass jug without beating the hell out of it with a whip and drill:

Buy a Vacuvin Wine Saver (https://www.amazon.com/Original-Vacu-Vin-Vacuum-Stoppers/dp/B000GA3KCE ) if you don't already own one, they're great for preserving open wines for a few days. The Vacuvin stopper will fit over the cylindrical tube opening inside of a universal carboy bung, with a little effort, slide it down on there tight. Put the bung into the opening of the gallon glass jug of wine and pump it. The vacuum inside the jug will cause CO2 to be released from the wine. You can do a lot of pumping at one time, or just leave it under vacuum and pump a few times a day, or a combination of both, it will degas the wine.

I have still lots of Co2 in my wine (Merlot - juice). Is there something i can do to remove it quicker?
I've already racked the wine twice. Will filtering the wine help or just keep racking the wine?
Thank you
Dom
I know that filtering under a vacuum will remove the CO2 very quickly. There is also a device you can put on the carboy if you have some headspace and a vacuum pump and it will help remove the CO2
https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/headspace-eliminator/

Latest posts

Back