Quantcast

Other Clearing and bulk aging

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

iridium

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just started my wine making journey and am using a 1 gallon Master Vintner cabernet sauvignon kit. I have spent a lot of time on this forum and discovered really good advice about bulk aging kits for a better finished product.

My question is where does adding the clearing and fining agents come into play if I plan to bulk age for longer than the directions? I have just started secondary fermentation and the next steps in the kit say to degas by vigorously stirring three to four times a day for two days. Then I am to add the clearing and fining agents and let sit for a few days.

I would think that once I add the clearing and fining agents I would rack into a jug, top off, add a little k-meta and then let sit for three months. However, could I skip the degassing step, not add the extra stuff, and just rack into a carboy and let sit for three months after adding some k-meta? The information on the forum is a little confusing.

Thank you for the help and if this should have been in beginning wine makers, please let me know and I will repost.

Putterrr

Reaction score
you could skip the clearing agents though i have never gone that route. i would think that you would still want to degas, add the kmeta and then let it sit. Or you could degas, add the chems and kmeta, let it sit for a couple weeks then rack off the lees and let it sit for your 3 months.

cheers

CabSauv

Exp Drinker/Junior Vintner
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm still new to winemaking but this is what is really working for me. If you don't plan to back-sweeten then definitely skip the sorbate. I still like to degass per the instructions but the CO2 will subside naturally as you bulk age so don't worry too much if you skip degassing. I will say, if you do degass as I like to, be careful because it can foam and volcano out of the carboy a bit (I know a guy who this happened to but I won't tell you who). Add the chitosan and KMeta per directions, let clear, rack off the lees (sediment on bottom after clearing), and then bulk age. Then for every 3 months you bulk age (in a dark cool area), rack the wine and add/mix in 1/4 teaspoon of KMeta per 6 gallons to prevent bacteria and spoilage.

Trick

Reaction score
The degassing process doesnt exist on commercial winemaking. so i guess this is for kit wine only to speed up the process to achieve the 4 week 6 week promise . so if u have that patience, u can skip it. co2 can be helpful for oxygen protection. i am about to try once with super long surlie aging for a cheap white kit.