WineXpert Valpolicella style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shurt1073

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was gifted this wine kit a couple months ago and Rocky discovered the kit was produced in July 2013. Started the kit around April 1st. Today, I racked into a clean carboy (after clearing agents) and it appears brownish. Yes, my red wine is more brown than red. Doesn't have a horrible taste, not good but not horrible ..... ditch it now or keep waiting and hoping? It is ready for bulk aging. This is also my very first red wine kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
It's 10 years old and the concentrate is oxidized from age.

I'd keep it for now. It's brand new and you're not a red drinker (yet), so your opinion on it may be skewed a bit.

Nope -- this is highly unlikely to be a great wine, but 3 months of bulk aging may help. I'd add another dose of K-meta, and set it aside for 3 months.

A truism about winemaking -- you can always dump it later. Regardless of how it turns out, keep good notes. The next time someone posts about an old kit, you may be able to provide feedback.

I'm a little sad its not (probably not) going to work out. I need a dry red of some sort for special occasions or friends ... more than the FWK Pinot Noir in bulk aging.

This brownish stuff is not like anything I've ever tasted. 🤢

You're probably right, but if Scott has a carboy free, why not see what it does?

It will never be something to share with friends. Might learn something, but brownish red wine (oxidized) goes down the drain at my house. Just did that with three bottles of Norton from a Winery here in MO.

Back