Clearing a 1 gallon batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rslayback

Junior
Reaction score
What ids the best way to clear a 1 gallon batch? Super Kleer treat a 6 gallon batch, would it hurt to use this one a 1 gallon batch? Thanks for the help in advance?

a one gallon batch should clear on its own fairly quickly

I agree with Julie. Not really had any problems clearing single batches but if you do have a problem (and some fruits are notorious for creating haze and the like) you might add pectic enzyme even after the fermentation has ended (during is not effective as the enzyme and yeast don't play well together) or you might make a batch of Bentonite and add enough for a single gallon . Never used Super Klear but what makes that impossible to use only enough for a gallon (Can you make a solution of the 6 gallon quantity and use 1/6?)...

I've used Superkleer in one gal batches many times before. You just need to reduce the amount proportionately. I do it by pouring each component into a small glass then drawing it up into a syringe.

You get 50ml chitosan and 15ml kieselsol; I use 3ml kieselsol and 10ml chitosan per gallon. Obviously you waste less if you are treating more than one small batch.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Julie or anyone,

Why would a one gallon batch clear any more quickly than a six gallon or for that matter a 100 gallon batch?

That has not been my experience and in that some of my most stubbornly hazy wines have been one gallon batches.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

A one gallon batch is a lot less volume than a 6 gallon. Particles falling out of a six gallon carboy has a long way to fall compared to how far a one gallon batch has to fall.

I bet it is also warmer than 6 gallons, which helps clear more quickly. It probably also lets go of the gas more quickly in small volume, which also clears more quickly. But I agree I sometimes have gallon batches that just don't clear easily. Has to be what is in it tho. Since I use a lot of fresh fruit pectic enzyme is my first goto. That recent article about PE helped me a lot, as I now know gooseberries and currants have lots of pectin. So I go heavy in the beginning instead of playing catchup later.

Happy Holidays all!!!

Pam in cinti

Sorry. Call me skeptical. It is hard for me to believe that the distance the particles have to fall is a significant factor in the rate of clearing.

I believe that while the size of the batch may be a factor in rate of clearing, it is a very minor one compared to the wine and what goes in it.

Last edited:
Sorry. Call me skeptical. It is hard for me to believe that the distance the particles have to fall is a significant factor in the rate of clearing.

I believe that while the size of the batch may be a factor in rate of clearing, it is a very minor one compared to the wine and what goes in it.

I do not know about the distance. But I do know that 6 gallons of wine takes far longer to degas than 1 gallon weather one does it manually or naturally. and I also know that Co2 suspended in wine be it in solution or semi gaseous suspends particles longer than wine that is degased. Since 1 gallon of wine will degas faster than 6 it only stands to reason that it would also clear faster. especially if left to degas naturally.

Latest posts

Back