Cleansing and Sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback.

All my equipment goes through a cleansing and sanitizing before use. My last step is sanitizing and sometimes I use the equipment before it dries.

I was wondering whether it is best to clean rinse after sanitizing? If I don't will I get a sanitizing taste? If I do, should I wait until all is dry prior to using. Rinsing after sanitizing would be with tap water and I don't think I'd like introducing that to the wine.

I feel like I should know the answer to this question already but not sure.

An example is the bottles. When I sanitize, I put them on the tree and let them rinse. They may not be dry by the time I use the bottles.

The reason I ask is that my wife always states there is a funny taste to my wine. If it's aged I don't always get that feedback.

So, I'm looking for your expert advice and answers. Thanks in advance.

What are you using that may alter taste?

I use Na-meta (purchased by mistake instead of K meta) for sanitizing. I switched from starsan after reading many posts from the wise ones here. Using metabisulfate may augment sulphite content to ensure proper preservation of the vino. It sanitizes both by liquid and gasseous contact. I have a large plastic container that I use; spraying a given piece of equipment directly then placing it in the closed container for the requisite 6 minutes. The container essentially functions as a gas sterilization chamber. Often the equipment is still wet and I use it with out any concern. I haven't had a problem yet, but I'm still pretty new. It's also most convient for carboys, I pour a couple of cups into the vessle, give it a good shake. A short while later pour the meta back in to it's container for reuse. It's a very low volume method. I have not had issues with salty wine but am most interested in getting something to measure sulfite content.

I just find metabisulfite easier for my particular way of doing things. OK, I admit it the foam does creep me out a bit. As a total germophobe, gas sanitization makes me sleep better. Yeah, I'm nuts.

I drain but don't rinse. The foam is reassuring;)

Do you rinse with tap water, or bottled water?

I usually rinse with piping hot tap water. I rinse less and just let it drip dry with the sanitizers on (sulfite or starsan) when I am working with unfermented musts as I think they are more susceptible to bacterial problems. After the wine is fermented and I have adequate SO2 levels in it, the wine is a pretty good preservative and I am less anal about the sanitizers. CLEAN equipment and hot water rinses have worked fine for me.

Latest posts

Back