Cleaning the Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bstnh1

I read here somewhere never to brush the PET better bottles, as scratches will allow a place for deposits and bacteria to adhere.

I rinse mine with a shower head that has the massage feature. It creates a narrow and very high pressure stream that also pulsates. I rinse with Oxi-clean, let it set a while 1/2-1 hr. Rinse again, add a little k-meta solution and cap till the next use. Rinse and use. I never dry a carboy and 20 batches later no problem at all.

bstnh1

I read here somewhere never to brush the PET better bottles, as scratches will allow a place for deposits and bacteria to adhere.

I rinse mine with a shower head that has the massage feature. It creates a narrow and very high pressure stream that also pulsates. I rinse with Oxi-clean, let it set a while 1/2-1 hr. Rinse again, add a little k-meta solution and cap till the next use. Rinse and use. I never dry a carboy and 20 batches later no problem at all.

oh....i'm sorry....my response had to do with glass carboys....sorry...i don't have any experience with better bottles....but kevinlfifer is right....brushing with create scratches, aka, breeding ground for bacteria to hide in, in the plastic, so scrubbing is not advisable...

I have Marks keg and carboy cleaner, it works great,a little expensive,but does the job.... I used it on 1 to 6 gallon class carboys and it even has attachments for doing hoses.... I love it

Finally got the red wine film out of my PET carboy. Used a good dose of PBW, hot water, threw a hand towel in there with the solution, put a bung in it and sloshed it around for about 10 minutes and rinsed it well a few times. Cleaned it up like a charm. Whites don't give me a problem, but for some reason reds sometimes leave a very slight film on the inside that I can't get out with one step or oxyclean.

Finally got the red wine film out of my PET carboy. Used a good dose of PBW, hot water, threw a hand towel in there with the solution, put a bung in it and sloshed it around for about 10 minutes and rinsed it well a few times. Cleaned it up like a charm. Whites don't give me a problem, but for some reason reds sometimes leave a very slight film on the inside that I can't get out with one step or oxyclean.

I thought PBW is considered quite caustic by the Better Bottle people and is not typically recommended? I know you are referencing a PET bottle but cleaning/sanitizing/rinsing should be the same, no? I have never had a BB stain, but I have had a PET bottle stain with red wine-cannot think of bottle brand the online supply store carries. The Better Bottle people recently discovered a product available in grocery/superstores does quite well, called Seventh Generation Free & Clear Natural 2X4, a natural enzymatic cleaner, info via link provided below. Here is the link to washing/rinsing of Better Bottles.. http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back