Cleaning labels off bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this video. They say to make sure you use a brass brush and not Stainless steel as that would scratch the bottles.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UO4cTcGeT7A[/ame]

I will have to try that Dan -

I have taken cases of bottles to the car wash and pressure washed the labels off

My wife cleans mine. She usually soaks them overnight in water and labels peel right off. Sometimes she uses a little WD40 to clean off any remaining glue.

Last edited:
Some label adhesives are water soluble, others are petroleum based glue. Both fall to the razor blade! (single edge in a holder) Remaining glue easily scrubbed with a steel wool pad in either hot water or soaked with (I use Goo-Gone) solvent. A little labor intensive but not much more than other methods. And what the hey,, this is a hobby, no time clock involved. A glass/bottle of your favorite-of-the-day handy and a classic Pink Floyd (pick one) for rhythm,, the job's done!!!

I might add that whenever working with power tools Safety glasses are a wise idea.

I soak them for a while in warm water, then scrape the labels off with a knife. any remaining glue falls victim to lacquer thinner. Takes more than 40 seconds. but I'm in no rush, I rushed through the first 70 years. Think I'll slow down and enjoy the next 70

I use a razor blade in a holder. Then I use a tasting cork to plug bottle, apply WD40 to a paper towel to remove any remaining glue. I wash the WD40 off with liquid hand soap and remove cork. I like the tasting cork because it makes cleaning the inside much easier at bottling time. Takes me about 3 to 4 min. per bottle. I do 2 or 3 a day and I am able to stay ahead.

I am nervous about accidentally getting solvents inside the bottle so I don't use it. If it doesn't come off with an overnight soak and a little soap & water, I don't use it. But then again, I am very lucky to have a lot of wine drinking neighbors who leave all of their empties on my front porch. It's quite a sight on Sunday morning. ;-)

I usually fill up my sink about a 1/3 full of hot water and sanitizer, submerge the bottles for about an hour, and the labels come right off with a little help from a razor blade.

Get the straight A sanitizer and a straight razor, and you'll be cleaning bottles quickly, quietly and with less mess. I usually do 8-10 bottles once or twice a week and I am good to go!

Steve

Dan
I think I will make up a jig in order to hold the bottle horizontally - similar to a V shape - made out of wood and try this method over the holiday break.

I reuse most of my own bottles - but I believe this experiment could help alot of my friends and others who hate the job of delabeling.

TSP melts them off

For labels that are not self adhesive, those that were applied with
the water based glue, if you put them in a 5 gal bucket with
TSP (cleaner ) in solution, in about an hour they will roll off the bottle
no residue, the TSP melts the latex based glue
We do six bottle at a time, put them in go play winemaker for an hour
come back pull them out, wipe off label rinse and repeat.
For self adhesive I use Acetone , kinda strong method, but put the bottles
in the bucket, pour in the Acetone, just above the label, cover and wait, again these will roll off but you must wipe them with an clean rag with Acetone to be sure all the residue comes off. Pour Acetone back into the original container
when finished.
Be sure and do the Acetone outdoors

Latest posts

Back