cleaning a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntva89

Junior
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have recently acquired a nice glass 5 gallon carboy from a relative's estate sale that they just gave to me. The only issue is that it has clearing been sitting in a basement for quite some time and appears to have a small bit of rust on the inside of the carboy from who knows what. I have tried basic soap and water, borax, peroxide, the ol coke trick, and sand in water as an abrasive. Anyone have any tips on getting this thing clean? I'd lime to avoid harsh chemicals as this will soon hold wine. Oh and its got a narrow top so getting a brush inside is pretty nigh hopeless.

Hunt, is the opening smaller than a normal carboy? Suppliers sell a carboy brush that is specific for that purpose.

http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28&product_id=278

I suggest that you get one. In the meantime, I have found that the "universal solvent" (water) is the best thing. I would put a dishwashing detergent and hot water in the carboy and let it sit for a time. Then use the brush.

There is a chance that brush may work but since I don't have a supply store close by and I have freshly picked blueberries ready to be made into wine I'd rather not wait on one via mail. I will give it a good soaking.

TSP... tri sodium phosphate...buy at any hard ware store. mix it very strong, add to carboy, let sit a day, rinse, rinse rinse.

There is a chance that brush may work but since I don't have a supply store close by and I have freshly picked blueberries ready to be made into wine I'd rather not wait on one via mail. I will give it a good soaking.

Have you tried B Brite our Oxy Clean, fill with 1 gal warm water, add 1tbs, mix and let sit for a few hours. Might also give CLR a try

When I worked in pizza joints we used salt and crushed ice to clean coffee pots. Might work.

vacuumpumpman,
I couldn't agree more! Those carboy cleaners made cleaning a breeze, I put a small amount of Star San in the carboy, about 2 inches of water, about 2 mins later, the carboy is clean!
And yes, they have replacements for them, I highly recommend these cleaners!!!

Dralarms, if you try it once, you will never go back to the old brush, the time it saves and the fact that you get the entire carboy is well worth the cost. I've been using mine for just about a year, many, many uses, almost 20 different wines and over 20 batches of beer, and they all need to be cleaned after every racking!

I've never heard of those carboy cleaners before. Do they attach to a drill or is it all hand driven?

I've had it almost a year. The bottle brush works OK, but I've actually switched back to the regular bottle brush. I just cut the "loop" off the brush and it works great in the drill.

They are non replaceable, that's the one setback.

I also use the eBay version of the bottle/carboy brush. A few observations from my use of the brushes...
- As stated earlier, the pads are not replaceable.

- The bottle brush head is too big to fit into 12/20 oz. bottles. Had to use the bristle brush with loop cut off.

- These brushes have pads on tips which work great on punts and corners.

- Not sure if I am missing something, but when I use the carboy brush, the pads on the side coil/wrap around the stick. I've tried varying the drill speed but with no luck.

Joe R.

Back