Products for carboy deep clean & brush rust removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw some similar sump pump diys online while googling. Crafty idea.
oxyclean worked great. Filling 6 vessels (was 7. See pic below) I didn't bother using warm water, just hose water. Scrub-soak-then drill attachment.
I've got at least 7 different sized brushes with rust on the wire. They're useless until removed since the rust jacks up the carboys neck. One brush developed this corrosive black buildup on the metal every time. Would get everywhere!
I bought the CLR for them. A job I could do tomorrow or in a year. I used my really small brushes a lot for many things so I'll get to it.

IMG_8137.jpg
This reminds me of Mel brook's History of the world. When Moses comes down from the mountain to present the 15...crash..errr...10 commandments.

I like this! Could you post some pictures? Did you drill holes in the pvc pipe? I take it that the carboy sits upside down on the sump pump. Does the pipe go all the way up. Lots of questions; pictures would answer most. TIA.
I will try TomC....never posted pics before. IT is very simply, a Harbour freight 20 dollar pump...a big old plastic tote for a tub....made a PVC rack for bottles just drilled into the supple lines and expoxied in place...reducer bushing to get down to a hose size....a few hose clamps. Add hot water and I have a hot stick i use when brewing to keep the water hot. Drilled holes in the sides of the tub sit the bottle rack on...dowels through the holes...fill it up and let her run. The bucket carboy washer is just a taller straight piece of PVC with a cap and holes drilled in it. Everything breaks down and fits in the tub for storage.

I also saw a very cool one made out of an old dishwasher....guy used a manifold coming off the existing pump with high temp tubing zip wired to the dish washer rack uprights.

I saw some similar sump pump diys online while googling. Crafty idea.
oxyclean worked great. Filling 6 vessels (was 7. See pic below) I didn't bother using warm water, just hose water. Scrub-soak-then drill attachment.
I've got at least 7 different sized brushes with rust on the wire. They're useless until removed since the rust jacks up the carboys neck. One brush developed this corrosive black buildup on the metal every time. Would get everywhere!
I bought the CLR for them. A job I could do tomorrow or in a year. I used my really small brushes a lot for many things so I'll get to it.

View attachment 44453
This reminds me of Mel brook's History of the world. When Moses comes down from the mountain to present the 15...crash..errr...10 commandments.

That black substance is iron oxide you may think of it as a form of rust, not good for wine or beer, you might want to consider plastic handled brushes.

I will try TomC....never posted pics before. IT is very simply, a Harbour freight 20 dollar pump...a big old plastic tote for a tub....made a PVC rack for bottles just drilled into the supple lines and expoxied in place...reducer bushing to get down to a hose size....a few hose clamps. Add hot water and I have a hot stick i use when brewing to keep the water hot. Drilled holes in the sides of the tub sit the bottle rack on...dowels through the holes...fill it up and let her run. The bucket carboy washer is just a taller straight piece of PVC with a cap and holes drilled in it. Everything breaks down and fits in the tub for storage.

I also saw a very cool one made out of an old dishwasher....guy used a manifold coming off the existing pump with high temp tubing zip wired to the dish washer rack uprights.

Thinking outside the box! I really need to come up with something other than the roll and slosh bathtub method. This old back isn't getting any younger. ;)

That black substance is iron oxide you may think of it as a form of rust, not good for wine or beer, you might want to consider plastic handled brushes.

A couple of my brushes developed this iron oxide after only a couple uses. Stuff is impossible to clean and gets everywhere and stains everything. . They eventually developed regular rust in time. I don't use any of the rusty brushes.
I assume the iron oxide stemmed from letting dry outside possibly

I just tried a product made by Craft Meister called Keg & Carboy Cleaning Tablets. To use it, you fill up the carboy with hot water then plop 2 tablets in. The tablets fizzle like Alkaselzer. After an hour of soaking, the better bottle plastic carboy I had just racked wine out of was crystal clear.

Another go-to product that I use on porcelain cups that get coffee stained is false teeth tablets. Like the carboy cleaner described, you plop one tablet in each cup and the white porcelain gets perfectly clean. I haven't tried false teeth cleaning tablets in a carboy but it should work. I'm afraid, however, that it would take a lot of tablets which would result in it becoming a very expensive cleaning method.

Back