Clarification on carboys.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleftiwallah

Reaction score
Good afternoon peoples, I keep reading references to carboys. Are these the ten gallon (aprox) glass bottles that are nestled in straw within a steel cage or frame? I remember in my youth they were always in a corner of comercial garages storing battery acid. Cheers, Tony.

have no idea about that. our carboys usually come in 1, 3, 5 or 6 gallon's besides the better bottles, they are glass. They are a jug.

You must be thinking of the demijons used in winemaking.

Demijon.

Tom, I was trying to clarify just what 'you lot' mean by carboys, I use demijons all the time, when it's not glugging away in a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

So you use BIG glass jugs to produce wine. While serving in the R.A.F. at Kai Tak (Hong Kong), I found a carboy in the scrap compound and made a very tasefull terrarium from it, including the shade. Often wonder what became of it now we are no longer in Hong Kong.

Thanks for your replies everyone. :D Cheers, Tony.

Here is a quick pic of one Tony. Most of us use 6 or 5 gallon since all of the wine kits for sale make 6 gallons. 5 gallons are nice to rack down to and then have enough left over to top off with the extra down the road.

Cheers!

3galcboy__31603_zoom.jpg

12 Gallon Carboys

was looking for information on recipes for 12 gal carboys, and when I saw this thread, decided to join; thought this might add some interest to the thread LOL

heavy Pyrex Green 12 gallon Carboys, 20 inches at the hip, narrowing down, 26 inches high at the lip; we were given 23 beginning of September; the person who gave them, had inherited them (he is in his late 60's) from his family, who had a farm, and made wine and beer; perhaps a little sideline ;)
I have kept 4 (may keep another 2-3); my son has the rest; I'm not yet ready to use them, maybe in a year or two; cost being the deciding factor, not to forget the storage and drinking of 72 bottles of one variety of wine :d
up to now the most I have made is gallon jugs ;) so really stepping into the deep end with these; if anyone has any ideas or experience, would appreciate a heads up ;) I've been making wine for 17 years, small batches;

12 Gallon Carboys in Closet smaller.jpg

was looking for information on recipes for 12 gal carboys, and when I saw this thread, decided to join; thought this might add some interest to the thread LOL

heavy Pyrex Green 12 gallon Carboys, 20 inches at the hip, narrowing down, 26 inches high at the lip; we were given 23 beginning of September; the person who gave them, had inherited them (he is in his late 60's) from his family, who had a farm, and made wine and beer; perhaps a little sideline ;)
I have kept 4 (may keep another 2-3); my son has the rest; I'm not yet ready to use them, maybe in a year or two; cost being the deciding factor, not to forget the storage and drinking of 72 bottles of one variety of wine :d
up to now the most I have made is gallon jugs ;) so really stepping into the deep end with these; if anyone has any ideas or experience, would appreciate a heads up ;) I've been making wine for 17 years, small batches;

23!!! Most kits are 6 gallon, so one of those would hold a double kit. They would be great for managing fresh grape wine making.

Envious and jealous !

Never seen 'jugs' as big as that ! I'll have to start opening my eyes. The only thing that comes near to those are the plastic bottles used on the water coolers. (One more thing we've accepted from your side of the pond). Many thanks for the photo's for clarification. Cheers, Tony.

Latest posts

Back