Cigars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, those are the Sangre de Christo mountains. Elevation almost 13,000 ft and home to the Sante fe ski area. New Mexico is actually the oldest grape growing region in the US. The Spanish Conquistadors brought grape cuttings way back in the 1600's. The monks made the communion wine out of it. As for vineyards, the bulk of the acreage is way down South close to the border of Mexico. Probably close to 600 acres of vinifera are planted there. More and more acerage is being planted up North these days. Much cooler weather if you can find a good location as the Winters can be quite cold due to the high elevation.

Here is a link to all the Wineries in NM

Here is a link to the Vineyards in NM

Wow, what a view!!! New Mexico? Are there many vineyards in your 'hood?

Potato gun, now your speaking my language. BTW, that is one beautiful view!

Never one to shy away from a tangent..

My older brother is a ME out of Steven's Tech. With his engineering background, he is a dangerous man. One day, I bet him 2 cases of beer that he could not get a potato to break the sound barrier. He took up the challenge and called me (2 weeks later) to his house saying "bring the beer".

He built a potato cannon to end all potato cannons. It had a 10 foot barrel and a 5 foot breach. Powered by a new compressor up to 150 psi, you could hear the distinct "crack" after he set it off.

The target was a sheet of exterior grapes 5/8" plywood positioned about 200 feet away. When that potato hit that target, all that could be seen is a big cloud of disintegrated spud. The target had a perfect hole punched out of it. I remembering yelling out "Santa Maria!" when this thing was fired.

The beer I gave him (a summer blond by a local micro brewery) cost WAY less then the hardware he had to purchase. No matter, the honor was his and he now has something very cool to bring out at family gatherings.

Off topic but………

veraforscale.jpg

Super Spud Gun

To get in the spirit of my upcoming trip to Cuba I bought a Romeo y Julieta No.3 and smoked it this morning. I have tried cigars in the past (usually while drinking) and found them reasonably enjoyable but this is the first time I've just sat down on my own and smoked a whole one.

Currently lying on my couch feeling sick as a dog and regretting it. Lesson learned. I think I'll stick to the rum...

(and no, I didn't inhale)

Wow I have Romeo juliets and montichristos and that never happened to me... Best thing to do to avoid this is drink a lot of fluids and also eat before smoking. Trust me! This is a classic case of nicotine overdose lol... Happened to me once while smoking hookah seriously drink and eat [emoji108]

Back