Choosing a ph meter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons, including my poor color vision, I'm interested in picking up a digital ph meter for my musts and wines.

Can anyone recommend (or steer me away from) a particular brand or model?

Others with more refined pH meter palates use Milwaukee. I really like my MW102

pH Meter

Here is a link to info about the pHep 4 meter. It's a good one for wine testing. I belive the Winemakers Toy Store sells this one. At this link, you can view the manual by going to the download tab. It also will detail other products you will need such as the 4.0 and 7.0 calibrators. You should also get an electrode cleaning solution.

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=040003&ProdCode=HI 98127

I had trouble with my Hanna phep4 so I returned it and got an Oakton pHTestr 30. It too, has the replaceable probe. I love it.

Sounds like a power tool! :)

I like the meter though. BNC (replaceable) Probe. Nice looking for the $$$!

I really like it. I like being able to get the probe into the top of a carboy for a measurement w/o drawing a sample to test.

I calibrate, rinse and run down a line of carboys very quickly with a rinse in between one. Less than 5 min to test/record pH for as many as 12 or more wines (after calibration, which takes a minute or two).

I have distilled water in a jug with the carboys and put the temp probe in that.

I can also use the temp probe by itself ...

Last edited:
Back