Chilean Cabernet Franc juice and Muscat juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trolo

Older Member
Reaction score
Hi all this is first time making juice buckets. I was going to leave the Muscat alone and try to make sweet finish, but any ideas on the Cabernet Frac?
I am still so green on wines. so any input would be nice.

I guess I am looking for a recipe or something like that to do with the Franc. i had Cab franc ice before but wasn't sure how do that or if I should just back sweeten when done and call it a day.

Oh, gosh, I love Cab Franc the way it is, I mean, as a dry wine. It tends to have a slightly more vegetal/bell pepper taste than Cab Sauv, which some people don't like, but I find it interesting and enjoyable.

Thanks I will finish it off like that. Just picked up juice. Now letting temp come up.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I was given a Cab Franc that had been oaked with heavy toasted french chips for about 4 weeks. It was very good was about a yr old

I think Cab Franc is better off as a dry wine, but there's a winery nearby that (if i remember right) backsweetens their Cab Frnc just a liittle bit to help mellow things out some. As sour_grapes said, the flavor profile is interesting, but it is not something everyone initially likes. It's a great blending component, though.

I really like the peppery flavors in a dry Cabernet Franc, but I can see how some may not like it. I'd keep it dry and have an interesting, off the beaten path wine to share. I highly doubt that backsweetening will make it anything like a Cab Franc icewine.

You could always split the batch, leave 1/2 dry and do tests and back sweeten the other 1/2 to the point where, if the taste is objectionable, it masks that to your liking. If you decide you like it back sweetened you could always sorbate the other half and finish it like the one you initially sweetened.

Thanks guys as always for the input I do like to hear all the options.
Yes I have made couple of decisions.
I left about a gal of it dry. Just gave last two bottles to a friend to try.
The rest went into making my closet red. I blended a concord and a Niagara and the cab.
Quite tasty I must say. No too bad for a beginner. More importantly the wine taster at the messay closet winery liked it. ( that's the wife and one of the reasons I make wine ) so when she is happy everyone (me) is happy. Next batch of closet red I made without the cab.

Thanks again all.
Tom

You could always split the batch, leave 1/2 dry and do tests and back sweeten the other 1/2 to the point where, if the taste is objectionable, it masks that to your liking. If you decide you like it back sweetened you could always sorbate the other half and finish it like the one you initially sweetened.

Damn, I'm usually good at checking the posts on dates, fell for that one for sure. Guess next time I laugh at someone doing the same thing I should take a potty break and go look in the mirror, thanks Paul!

Latest posts

Back