Chianti Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Ok Last weekend I bottled my chianti. Time for labels.
Here's what I came up with. I would love some HONEST feedback and critique. Open to anything! The outside specs have to be updated with correct dates, batch and ABV.

Chianti-Rooster.jpg

Chianti-Rooster-xing.jpg

I like the top one better but if it was mine I would ...

1) Drop the broken bottle
2) Drop the word presents
3) Make the rooster smaller so the image and the wine name do not overlap
4) Use black font instead of grey

I like the top one better but if it was mine I would ...

1) Drop the broken bottle
2) Drop the word presents
3) Make the rooster smaller so the image and the wine name do not overlap
4) Use black font instead of grey

I agree with rhoffart on items 3 & 4. If I remember right I think the broken bottle is part of your logo you had on your other labels. If so stick with it.

On the second label the cossing sign was too distracting but interesting concept. All in all, nice label!

I've gotten a few mentions of removing the bottle so away it goes....

Thanks for the help. I think it does look better.

Now I just need some ideas for the Grenache label.

My $0.02

I think you could have one of them but not both. Too busy.

Whats the story with the chicken on a wine label?

If your really attached to the chicken for a reason (you raise chickens or you eat a lot of chicken.....) keep it.

But from an outside party it seems like a strange thing to put on a wine label. I do think the broken wine bottle in the place of the chicken would be awesome.

It also goes very well with the name of the winery.

From Wikipedia:
During the 1970s producers started to reduce the quantity of white grapes in Chianti. In 1995 it became legal to produce a Chianti with 100% Sangiovese. For a wine to retain the name of Chianti, it must be produced with at least 80% Sangiovese grapes.[2] A Chianti may have a picture of a black rooster (known in Italian as a gallo nero) on the neck of the bottle, which indicates that the producer of the wine is a member of the Gallo Nero Consortium, an association of producers of the Classico sub-area sharing marketing costs.[3] Since 2005 the black rooster has been the emblem of the Chianti Classico producers association.[4] Aged Chianti (38 months instead of 4-7), may be labelled as Riserva. Chianti that meets more stringent requirements (lower yield, higher alcohol content and dry extract) may be labelled as Chianti Superiore, although Chianti from the "Classico" sub-area is not allowed in any event to be labelled as "Superiore".

Chianti_Classico.jpg

My reasoning for the rooster crossing was that it's not a true Chianti Classico so it's just passing through....

I didn't realize I had the same rooster! I should have googled that image instead. duh... I like it with the eye in there so I'll add that.

I still have some Classico I brought from Italy back in Feb 2002. I've been saving it. I'll have to crack open one to compare to mine in a year.
Those were the days when you could bring back a case of wine and not pay for extra luggage and customs didn't care.

Nice job on the label. My wife says I enjoy making the labels as much as I enjoy making the wine. She's right.

Mike, they need to remember when it is cooked and on the table it is just "Chicken"

Jim

Back