Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Spencer. I'm glad your is enjoyable. I did make my SG higher- bringing it up to 1.085. I used 10# sugar for a six gallon batch. I used a lot more acid than most might- I want some pucker and from what I have tasted so far, I think I achieved it. I used 4 Tablespoons of acid blend=12 teaspoons. I added 3 oz of cherry flavoring. I know I had about a half bottle more than would fit in the carboy while topping it up a few weeks ago to age a little. Naturally I needed to sample it and it was so good, I finished it off. I'll bottle as soon as I get some time, but I've been busy clearing land and preparing to plant another 300 vines.

Hey everyone!! Just took a quick snapshot of my Cherry wine.... It has been in there for over 5 months!!

20070510_185056_cherry.jpg
smiley17.gif

Well I got the Black Currant and the Cherry batches bottled this weekend. The Black Currant with the 2 cans turned out very good with lots of flavor and just enough swwet tart to be interesting to the palate. The Cherry is pretty good and has enough flavor even this young. I put in enough acid that it is like a tart cherry pie. After combining and tasting a number of combinations, I decided half Black Currant and Half Cherry was a winning combination, so I did 20 bottles of Black Currant, 20 Bottles of Cherry and 20 bottles of Black Currant/Cherry mixed. I brough a bottle of the mixed one over to my sister to taste since she is a fan of semi-sweet fruity wines(she's a little fruity herself). She gave it the thumbs up(as well as the rest of her fingers needed to repeatedly lift the wine glass). I was there about 10 minutes and the bottle was half gone by the time I left- and she was the only one drinking it.

All said, they both turned out really good and I will be doing them again. I will get some pictures to post as soon as I make some labels and attach them.

Sounds mighty good appleman.
I am going to try a Black Currant/Blackberry here before long. The starting schedule is dependent on the slow ripening Blackberries. May make a run to the Farmers Market in Little Rock Saturday morning and see what the offerings are there this year.

wade said:
Where they both the Vintners Harvest?

Yes Wade they were. The black currant used 2 cans Vintners Harvest and here is the recipe for the Cherry

1 Can Vintner's Harvest Cherry(whole with pits)
1 Can Oregon Cherry Puree- not pits in can just a cherry puree
1 Bottle WE Red Grape Concentrate
10 pounds sugar
Water to 6 gallons
4 TBSP Acid Blend- yes Waldo 4 TBSP-12 tsp(took that much for just a little pucker- the whole cherries were pretty blah-not sweet and certainly not tart)
4 tsp Bentonite-added to primary
1 TBSP Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp K-Meta
3 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2 tsp Liquid Tannin

SG was 1.085

Latest posts

Back