Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
potassium metabisulphite.....http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=potassium+metabisulphite&_sacat=0&_odk w=potassiummetabisulphite&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286. c0.m270.l1313.
I prefer K-Meta over tablets because you can also use it for sanitizing and it is cheaper it bulk
NBow you know why we type K-Meta insted of whole name(potassium metabisulphite).

i know it's always been more economical to use bulk k-meta but the campden tablets are so much easier to use... no measureing, just one per gallon and it's done.... have used them for over 35 years and will continue to do so. they have always worked good for me.
mike

Actually I have got a bag of sodium metabisulphite (campden tablets?) in powder form. I am using this in stronger doses with water as an equipment sanitizer. On wikipedia I found that "potassium metabisulphite is chemically very similar to sodium metabisulfite, with which it is sometimes used interchangeably." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite) From this, I came to a conclusion which is sodium metabisulphite can also be added in small doses directly to fresh fruit in order to destroy any wild yeast, molds and bacteria that may be present. Right?

Last edited:
Actually I have got a bag of sodium metabisulphite (campden tablets?) in powder form. I am using this in stronger doses with water as an equipment sanitizer. On wikipedia I found that "potassium metabisulphite is chemically very similar to sodium metabisulfite, with which it is sometimes used interchangeably." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite) From this, I came to a conclusion which is sodium metabisulphite can also be added in small doses directly to fresh fruit in order to destroy any wild yeast, molds and bacteria that may be present. Right?

Yes it can... I use the sodium the way everyone else uses the potassium. The only problem is the tabs can be a pain to get dissolved. In powder form just be sure to use the right amount and you're fine.

yep they interchange just fine . I use sodium metabisulphite depending on which store I go to. I don't bother with the tabs because they cost more and you have to crush them

Some people use the potassium instead of the sodium because they have to/want to restrict their salt intake.

Some people use the potassium instead of the sodium because they have to/want to restrict their salt intake.

That's a good point, plus most people don't get enough potassium so a little more is a good thing... Another health benefit to wine!:h

7# of cherries per gallon
sugar to sg 1.080 or there abouts
1/2 tsp peptic enzyme per gallon
2 tsp acid blend per gallon - shoot for .65% - .75%
1 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon
1/8 tsp k-meta per gallon
Lalvin 71b 1122 yeast

crush cherries without breaking seeds, add sugar to desired sg, add peptic enzyme, yeast nutrient, acid blend and k-meta, let it sit for 24 hours, then add yeast. stirr daily, once sg is down to around 1.010 rack to carboy.

once done, stabilize and sugar to sweeten to your taste. you can also make an f-pac and add this at that time. Also, check your acid level again and adjust if need to.

Hi,

Julie, a couple of weeks ago I checked the SG of the must and see that the hydrometer was still floating much higher (I found that it has got much density in the juice). By the way, as you didn't mention about adding water so I didn't add water; does this make sense? On the other hand, this morning I plugged out the airlock and smelled the must. I could smell the alcohol in it. Its been five months now since it's in fermentation.

By the way, what is the reason of adding water to the mixture.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Here's a recipe I've made a couple of times, and it turns out very good. Got it from Terry on another forum. I use tart cherries and it gives the wine a wonderful aroma, color and flavor. I've done the primary ferment on the pits and I've done it without the pits. On the cherries I use, it makes a difference. The pits leave a bitter taste even if they aren't broken, so I now pit all my cherries at the beginning.

Montmorency Cherry Recipe, makes 6 gallons (you can divide this for smaller batches)
25lbs Montmorency Cherries ( or other sour pie cherries)
12lbs white sugar SG- 1.080 - 1.090
5 gallons US of Water.
12-tsps acid blend. - adjust TA to .60 (If you have an acid test kit)
6-tsps nutrient
1-tsp tannin
6 campden tablets crushed. (or 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite)
Add 2.5tsp Pectic Enzyme in 12 hours
pitch Premier Cuvee Yeast 12-24 hours after pectic enzyme.

Later
6 campdens or 1/4tsp potassium metabisulphite
3 tsps potassium sorbate

Pick and only use ripe Cherries, discard any bad or bruised fruit, then de-stem and pit place in primary. Crush with hands or large potato smasher being careful not to break pits if you did not pit them before.
Dissolve the sugar in 2 gallons of boiling water, boil until clear. Pour boiling water over cherries, then add remaining 3 gallons of water. Cover primary and wait until must has cooled.
When cooled to room temp add remaining ingredients except pectic enzyme and yeast. Cover and wait for 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover and leave another 12 hours then add yeast and put lid back on primary.
Stir and press down cap daily. When S.G. drops to 1.010 (5-6 days), strain fruit pulp (squeezing pulp gently to extract all remaining juice) discard fruit and siphon liquor into secondary. Fit airlock and let sit three weeks to 4 weeks until fermentation is entirely complete. Rack three more times, every two to three months, until very clear. Stabilize with the 3 tsps of potassium sorbate and 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite then sweeten slightly to taste about 1/4lb sugar, let stand 30 days before bottling.
Age 9-12 months.

Thanks indeed. I'll also try this one...

Back