Cherry & Strawberry VH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horric29

Junior
Reaction score
Quick question for all of you... I made two VH fruit wines, 6 gallons of the strawberry and 6 of the cherry... I tasted both today, (1 month in) and it tastes like they are both rather rough. The cherry tastes primarily like alcohol... I half followed the directions on that can before I came to the conclusion that it would be way too much sugar thus I had a pretty high SG and pretty high alcohol content on that one... I got off the point here... What would all of you use to backsweeten here in 2-3 month's when it's time to clear? Stick with a white grape concentrate, red grape concentrate, or some sort of cherry and strawberry product like Welch's? Thx all!
smiley10.gif

Rich

That is really personal choice. If you age it a few more months than 2 of 3, that can be helpful. How YOU want your finished wine to taste is going to determine what you add to it.

I agree with PWP. Let it get more then determine if and how much you want to back sweeten as with fruit wines it really takes time for the flavors to start coming through. If then you think it still needs more flavor then find a good juice with lots of flavor and what I do is take about 2-64 oz. containers of the juice, put them in a sauce pan and put them on medium high heat and reduce them on a stove top till you have about 1/2 of 1 of those containers. Then cool and slowly add it back to your wine till you have the flavor and sweetness that you want. If you just need a little more sweetness then just make a simple sugar syrup by boiling 1 part water and 2 parts sugar until dissolved and add that slowly to your wine until it is sweet enough for you.

Back