Quantcast

Chemical overload?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Ive been trying to get my potato wine to clear and it wont. I used kwikclear....twice, then I treated it for pectin haze, still nothing, so I tested it and treated it for startch haze and guess what, still nothnig.

Should I could I treat it with kwikclear again or just leave it. Ive had so much conflciting advice, warm it up, cool it down etc....any help appreciated

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I woud not do use another fining agent on it. What temp did you take it to as far as cool and for how long?

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
10 degrees for two weeks. I stored it in my garage, may have been even cooler.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Yeh, that would surely have been cold enough! I really dont think this batch is going to clear butthere is 1 more thing to try if you really want to give t a go and that is to try bentonite as its a possible protein haze, I usually add some bentonite in primary for this purpose and to help drop out some solids earlier.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Already used that! Must be stubborn I guess. Just worried that I have loaded it up too much now so might as well biff it..its only 4.5l so not a huge loss! Tastes alright though.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
When you say potato the first thing that comes to my mind is starch.

Try alfa-amylase a special enzyme to break down starch.

Luc

smurfe

Reaction score
Yeh, that would surely have been cold enough! I really dont think this batch is going to clear butthere is 1 more thing to try if you really want to give t a go and that is to try bentonite as its a possible protein haze, I usually add some bentonite in primary for this purpose and to help drop out some solids earlier.
She probably meant 10 C which is around 50F.

smurfe

Reaction score
When you say potato the first thing that comes to my mind is starch.

Try alfa-amylase a special enzyme to break down starch.

Luc
Could you explain this a little more? I brew beer all grain and when I mash my grains, alpha amylase is one of the enzyme steps created by the temperature mash. Alpha Amylase is a sugar producing enzyme though. Protease is an enzyme that breaks up large proteins that cause haze. This is all based on beer brewing though and at a specific pH range that the mash may be. That is one of the important factors of getting your mash pH within the range around 5.2 or so. I would be interested to hear more about the use of these enzymes in winemaking. I pulled this chart info from John Palmer's How To Brew. One of my beer brewing bibles.

Table 11 - Major Enzyme Groups and FunctionsEnzyme
Optimum
Temperature
Range Working pH Range
Function

Phytase
86-126°F
5.0-5.5
Lowers the mash pH. No longer used.

Debranching (var.)
95-113°F
5.0-5.8
Solubilization of starches.

Beta Glucanase
95-113°F
4.5-5.5
Best gum breaking rest.

Peptidase
113-131°F
4.6-5.3
Produces Free Amino Nitrogen (FAN).

Protease
113-131°F
4.6-5.3
Breaks up large proteins that form haze.

Beta Amylase
131-150°F
5.0-5.5
Produces maltose.

Alpha Amylase
154-162°F
5.3-5.7
Produces a variety of sugars, including maltose.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
I have found a great link for you:

http://www.science-projects.com/Amylase.htm

Basically it comes down to the fact that starch is a long molecule. They are natures way to store sugar for when needed in the future. Alfa amylase breaks it down in smaller molecules. Therefore it is probably called a sugar producing enzyme.

More info can be obtained from Wikki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Amylase

Interesting is also the fact that it is found in human Saliva.
So I do not dare to suggest it, but I still do: spitting in the wine may help :s ::
Actually I recall someone on another forum who did this (long time ago) and it worked :p

Luc

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
If that is 50* degress F then that was not cold enough but I dought it will do much anyway.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Yes I did mean 10 C forgot you lot work in farenheit. Hard to get things much colder around here as its only autumn, winter will be better for such things. I suppose i culd always put it in the fridge!

Thanks for the tips Luc, dont think I will spit in it though...just cant bring myself to be unladylike enough!:D

I did test it for starch with the iodine and then treated it for such, it just doesnt want to clear. It was just an experiment before I could go get sme fruit at the time so Im not too worried if I have to tip it down the sink!

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Just ause its cloudy doesnt mean you have to dump it, if it tastes good drink it in the dark! :)

Skyhawk

Reaction score
I agree with Wade. Plus if it is a protein haze, the worst that might happen is that you might gain a bit of muscle mass. :D

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Lol didnt see these replies until now! Yes will drink this in the dark I think! Im looking for soem nice silver or pottery goblets so I dont have to look at it!

Muscle mass....hmmm not so sure I want that!!!:D