Malolactic bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've been hammering away on this subject but I still feel unsettled and afraid to bottle. My apologies in advance.
Sixteen months ago I inoculated 12 gallons of wine; twice with Opti malo nutrient each time. First with W-4007 then four months later with CH-35. I did the second inoculation because I wasn't sure about the viability of the 4007. The weather was extremely warm when it was shipped and the freezer packs were warm when they arrived. I kept the wine at 70F for six months and my chromatography tests still showed malic acid on the paper time and time again. Since it seemed like nothing would change, I racked at the six month mark and gave it a dose of SO2. That was seven months ago. The other day I did another chromatography test even though I didn't expect to see any change. I was correct as you can see on the enclosed image. So what do I do next? Is this wine safe to bottle and if I decide to back sweeten just a touch (1.5 C of simple syrup into 5 gallons) would I be risking even more? I remember someone saying in a past post that the yeast is probably dead and it would be ok to bottle. Chime in please............

Attachments

• chromotography.jpg
    chromotography.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
My rule of thumb is nine months age is OK for back sweetening / not refermenting as long as I am not step feeding.

Yeast farming is a numbers game. The general literature says that if you filter/ settle with time/ fine with bentonite/ etc such that the population is reduced SO2 is more effective. Yeast settle fairly fast because they are large,, 2to 5 microns.
You might have bacteria in suspension since they are significantly smaller, BUT with a SO2 treatment they would have been killed off.

you may want to add lysozyme to kill the MLB then you won't have to worry about MLF
Agree that that will work, but it’s very pricey. I got some for my whites a few years ago. $26 for a 57 gram bottle, so ~50 cents a gram. If time is of the essence than it’s a good approach. If you’ve got the time then save your dollars for other things.

Agree that that will work, but it’s very pricey. I got some for my whites a few years ago. $26 for a 57 gram bottle, so ~50 cents a gram. If time is of the essence than it’s a good approach. If you’ve got the time then save your dollars for other things.
I’ve got time. Plus I believe, after input on this thread, that the bacteria is probably dead by now. I will leave in bulk for another three months before bottling making a total of 19 months.

hmm....i had purchased powder form that wasn't that expensive as i recall

Back