Cheers from Virginia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelina

Reaction score
I have been reading posts in your forum and getting familiar with the wine making process. There's a lot of great information here and I look forward learning much more and hopeful helping others along the way when I can. I am currently awaiting for all my wine making supplies to arrive and I also ordered a few wine kits just to get my feet wet.
I am also growing Wine Grapes (red and white), Blackberries, Raspberries, Kiwi, Strawberries, and I grow a vegetable garden.

Angelina welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're hitting the ground running. Where did you order your supplies and which kits did you get. I also started out with wine kits and still do them along with fresh juice.

Welcome

Soon you will find that it will be an OBESSION.

Hello Runningwolf
I do tend to go "all in" when I set my mind to it :) I ordered my supplies from a few different places. After price shopping around I settled on Homebrewit for my start up equipment kit since I was able to get the floor corker with it for a 120.00 total. I have already received that part in the mail and I must say it seems like I nice one. I tested the corker out and it was a breeze. I also got their 120 wine rack which I have not received yet for 89.00 so I believe great deal there too. It is pine but I can seal it and I will be storing it in the basement anyway so it doesn't need to be grade "A". I got some of my other supplies from them that were better priced as well. I also used Brewerscellars "the super store" for a lot of my Chemicals and additives, corks ect. I ordered 3 wine kits from amazon I got Vino Italiano 4 Week Wine Kit, Moscato, Cornucopia Fruit Wine Making Kit, White Tropical Riesling, Cornucopia Fruit Wine Kit, Blush Strawberry White Merlot. They were a good deal with the subscribe and save. at 35 and 40.00 a pop. I also got a Vacu Vin 0981450 Wine Saver Vacuum Wine Pump with 2 Stoppers which I am not totally sure if it is a good thing or not.???

Welcome Angelina. You can become very familiar with wine and beer making here. Many of great folks on here eager to help.

Remember to keep your chemicals in a cool dark area when you store them.

If you haven't already on our home page there are many sections to help you if needed. List of kits, wikipedia list, tutorials, a map to pin yourself if you like and more.

Great to have you here. Enjoy your hobby.

Thank you djrockinsteve.
I have browsed through those area's, very helpful indeed. Thanks for the tips on storage as well.

Welcome to the forum Angelina. I am sure you will love it here and you have a lot of homegrown goodies from which to make your own wine.

BTW, and I hope I am not prying, but your name and picture make me think your Grandparents may have come over from "the Boot," no?

Welcome to the forum, Angelina. It's always nice to get new members.

I don't mind, your not prying. Yes, my Grandparents on my mothers side came from Foggia. You were spot on!

Welcome to a great forum. Lots of good people and information here. Have fun with your new obsession... hehehe:db

A late welcome, Angelina.

Have you heard of the Norton grape? It is native to Virginia, actually created there. It is not available in any kit, but it can make a really great wine. Wish I was close enough to go pick some up in the Fall, but since I am in Colorado, tough luck.

It is also referred to as the Missouri grape, too, so next Fall I'll likely make a trip there to pick some up.

Thank you Robie
From what I read and understand the Norton grape is also referred to the the "Cynthiana" described as : Cynthiana Grapes produce a rich, full-bodied red wine with a dry character similar in style to Cabernet Sauvignon but with more spice. In fact, it has been called 'The Cabernet of the Ozarks'.
I do not have any experience with these grapes or the Nortons.
Every year near here they have the Norton Wine & Bluegrass Festival but you can not buy the grapes, just the wine from the grapes.:dg
I am not sure where I can get my hands on some otherwise, but it might be worth looking into.

Thank you Robie
From what I read and understand the Norton grape is also referred to the the "Cynthiana" described as : Cynthiana Grapes produce a rich, full-bodied red wine with a dry character similar in style to Cabernet Sauvignon but with more spice. In fact, it has been called 'The Cabernet of the Ozarks'.
I do not have any experience with these grapes or the Nortons.
Every year near here they have the Norton Wine & Bluegrass Festival but you can not buy the grapes, just the wine from the grapes.:dg
I am not sure where I can get my hands on some otherwise, but it might be worth looking into.

When you get ready to try fresh grapes, I'll bet if you are that close to where they are grown, you might find a vintner who would be willing to sell a couple hundred pounds.

The Norton might not be the best grape for your first fresh grape wine, anyway. It can be a problem sometimes trying to get it balanced. I just am extremely interested in it, as I had a friend from Iowa give me a glass and it was really good. Since then I have been reading about it as much as I can.

Hi Angelina, Im Bonnie from Stuarts Draft VA. I also have vines,currently have Norton, Moores Diamond,Chardonel,Elvira, DeChaunac,King of the North, and Sueuben? Have 37 gallons from this harvest in the carboys. Boy it was a difficult growing season,I thought I was sailing smooth, then the wasps set in.Look forward to talking to you.

Hi Bonnie, I agree this was a hard year for growing. My berries and grapes are only in their second and third year of growing so I have not gotten a harvest yet. However my vegetable garden had a real hard time between quick high heats, droughts and then too much rain to fast, everything wanted to bolt.
Although I didn't have wasps to deal with my trouble was with Powdery mildew. Thank goodness I was able to contain it and not of my wine fruits were affected. I look forward to talking with you too.
Where did you get your Norton's from? I have read up about this wonderful variety and considered growing them as well.

Back