Chardonnay kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
My kit should have been bottled last Tuesday but I only had an inch of clear on top. I racked it back into my primary and degassed again but today there is still barely an inch of clear at the top of the wine. I followed kit directions and I need the carboy for my mixed berry which is in primary now. Any thoughts or advice? I know not to bottle cloudy wine but the kit directions doesn't suggest what to do if it doesn't clear. Every additive was on time and in order. Will it magically clear completely in 4 days or less before my primary rots (9 days berries in nylon bag today)?

My kit should have been bottled last Tuesday

Is this in accordance with your kit instructions? Why don't you outline the steps taken and the SG of your wine. White wine usually clears quickly with no problems. Don't be overly concerned with kit time frames;they are for guidance. If you have fermented to dry 1.000 to .994 just airlock or vac seal to preserve what you have. Oh, BTW buy more carboys, at least 1 more.

Yes I will buy more carboys when I have the chance and a proper degasser too. North Alberta offers few opportunities for supplies. SG has been 0.990 for 3wks but being a beginner I may not have degassed properly on time which is why I degassed again on the prescribed bottling day. I moved it to a cooler place hoping that would help it settle properly in time for my next primary to succeed. My ambition may have exceeded my abilities this time but I am learning fast and am feeling the passion for making home grown recipes as they come in season. [emoji41] thanks for any input!

My kit should have been bottled last Tuesday but I only had an inch of clear on top. I racked it back into my primary and degassed again but today there is still barely an inch of clear at the top of the wine. I followed kit directions and I need the carboy for my mixed berry which is in primary now. Any thoughts or advice? I know not to bottle cloudy wine but the kit directions doesn't suggest what to do if it doesn't clear. Every additive was on time and in order. Will it magically clear completely in 4 days or less before my primary rots (9 days berries in nylon bag today)?

Give it a couple of good stirs to degas. I suspect you'll need to get another carboy because time is the only thing that will for certain clear it. It may take longer than 4 days.

If it still doesn't clear, you can add another round of finings. I use Superkleer. Note that you want to avoid using too many finings because they can strip some flavor from your wine. Also note that Superkleer contains shellfish-based ingredients, so you'll then have the responsibility to be sure that you don't serve it to anyone with shellfish allergies.

Best of luck!

I have a shopping list for when I get the chance for stocking up. In the meantime I have bottled the wine as is and will excuse myself as a novice to any recipients for this batch as they will be close to me and very understanding. I have racked this cloudy Chardonnay into bottles so I can continue my berry wine primary. I will be sure to leave two weeks min. between batches for the future!

You didn't mention which company's kit. For some reason I have problems clearing WE kits but not the ones from RJS. I'm thinking of substituting SuperKlear when doing my next WE kit.

Latest posts

Back