Chardonnay from grapes pH adjustment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryankelley

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of chardonnay going through MLF right now. I was using testing strips to measure pH, but I now have a meter and it revealed the strips were very accurate! I'm sitting at 3.7 pH and wondering if it needs more tartaric than I've already added. To the taste, it's a wee bit tart... I added a lot of tartaric to get it to this level. I guess I didn't have great grapes...

wait until MLF is done before deciding on any additions

Okay, thanks. I'm not a pro at wine making, so I appreciate advice from those who know more than me. I just googled some and see the tartaric isn't part of the ML fermentation, which was my concern. I was thinking I needed to add the acid before MLF was complete to make sure the bacteria could work on it.

Hopefully the MLF will take away the tartness.

MLF is malolatic fermentation. is a bacterial fermentation versus a yeast fermentation. it converts malic acid to lactic acid. it is supposed to improve mouthfeel and reduce malic acid in the wine. a yest fermentation converts sugar to alcohol. ponce MLF is completer to taste tests to determine any further action.

Thanks. I need to step up my game and get a total total acid and SO2 test kit(s). I test pH and SG but I know the pros say they make good wine because the test total acid and SO2. I don't have access to perfect fruit, so I need to make the necessary tweaks to bring it where it needs to be.

Back