Chardonnay bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
I am new to wine making, and can't seem to find new chardonnaybottlesfor sale anywhere. Anyone know where I can purchase them, or if I am missing something. Thanks.

You can purchase them, but try to find them from somewhere else, if you can. Check, for instance, with a local motel/conference center that has dinners/weddings/receptions where wine is served with the meal (not just an open bar, although that can work too). In almost every instance they are using a chardonnay (or a white wine in a chardonnay bottle) and usually will have multiple cases of the same brand.

Just ask the catering/events manager if they will put the empties back in the wine boxes and tell them you'll take them off their hands. You may have to actually pick them up that night (after the event) so that someone the next day doesn't toss them. I've done this and they conveniently put them outside by their loading dock and I'd back up the suburban, and load 'em up! Drop a couple of your bottled homemade chardonnay to the catering manager after that, and you'll have more bottles than you'll EVER need!
smiley36.gif

(Oh, and welcome aboard! You'll find this a great place to learn!)

Edited by: OilnH2O

Another spot to grab bottles is from wine stores that are just finishing with a wine tasting. The ones that I have dealt with have been more than happy to not have to take the bottles back to the trash/recycling. And then, one of the more entertaining methods would be to buy a couple cases of a nice chardonnay and work at emptying the bottles with some friends. I'm sure there are many people on this forum that would volunteer for a task like that.
Do note that some chardonnay and pinot bottles, being of a similar shape, don't like to fit in conventional racks and may not stack as well.

- Jim

I find that my wine tastes the same from the same batch no matter what bottle I put it in. I just try to find a few bottles that are peculiar to a certain type wine and bottle the rest in whatever I have on hand. I give away the special ones and drink the others. The problem is when I don't get them back- then I no longer have that style bottle on hand.

JimCook said:
one of the more entertaining methods would be to buy a couple cases of a nice chardonnay and work at emptying the bottles with some friends. I'm sure there are many people on this forum that would volunteer for a task like that.

- Jim

Buysome and send them my way. I'll empty them for you....
smiley4.gif

Thank you all very much for the great suggestions. Hopefully some day I will know enough tomake contributions to the Forum.My firstmerlot looked great this morning in thewine thief. SG was .92. If it'sthe same in the morning I get to use my stir-mix! Thanks again and enjoy your weekend!

P.S. Smurfe: I readyour 4-part tutorial several times over the last few months. Very helpful and entertaining.

I asked George the same question a couple of days ago. He said the dead leaf green bottles (5247) are the correct ones. I have three cases on the way.

if you have a local winery, ask for used bottles or leftover glass

gold mine!

Fst250,
Oiln has the answer. I did something similar and even though I live in a very small town, I had 500 bottles on no time. I even sorted for uniformity.

Give you an idea of how much we drink as a community!

I get almost all of my bottles from a local restaurant. What's nice about this is that I always get the same bottles so I can stock up on each type until I have enough for a batch or two. I pick up the bottles every Wed and Sunday. I usually get around 1 to 2 dozen a week, so it is pretty easy to keep up with cleaning them. I learned my lesson a while back that you should not let them pile up on you. You'll have a couple hundred before you know it that all need to be cleaned and have the labels removed. You're best option if you get stuck in that perdicament is to find a friend that also makes wine and give some of your bottles away. Otherwise plan on using all of your free time for the next week cleaning bottles.

Latest posts

Back