Champlain Valley Grape Grower

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I joined the forum a few years back but it wasn't functioning for me then so I gave up. Wade E let me know it was working now so I came over to check it out. I must say, it is functioning well now.

I have been making wine for a number of years and four years ago decided to expand my grape growing endeavors. We have a fairly cold climate here, but normally nice sunny warm summers. Typical winter temps are about-15 degrees F. I began with a few hundred vines, but this addictive passion has turned into a couple thousand vines, if I don't count the other thousand or so in the nursery. In spite of the horrid weather we have had this last year, I am looking at harvesting several tons of grapes this fall. It can be a challenge growing cold hardy grapes, but that's part of the fun. I look forward to sharing this insane hobby with all!

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Hello Grapeman,

It's great to have you here.

Allie

Tom

Reaction score
Glad to have you here. There are quite a few others who have or are planning on having a vineyard. We all look forward to your expertise in winemaking.
BTW, How many acres do you have planted and planning on planting.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Dont let Grapeman fool you, He has a vineyard most would die for already and the knowledge tp to keep going with it. He works with Cornell on Cold Climate species and is a greatr asset to this site and if I had the area to grow grapes he would be the one I would be asking how to do it. Hopefully he will include some pics for us.

smurfe

Reaction score
Glad you are here Rich. In fact I am ecstatic. As I said earlier, your expertise in growing grapes as well as winemaking will be greatly appreciated here. Our knowledge base just doubled here.

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
I get way too busy this time of year. I completely missed this post!

Welcome Grapeman what varieties do you grow at your vineyard?

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for the choke cherry info. I dont know about the pits though? Poisonous I read!! They look like alot of work too.